An 11-bp deletion in the arylsulfatase A gene of a patient with late infantile metachromatic leukodystrophy
Metachromatic leukodystrophy is a lysosomal storage disorder caused by the deficiency of arylsulfatase A. Examination of the arylsulfatase A gene in a patient suffering from late infantile metachromatic leukodystrophy revealed an 11-bp deletion in exon 8. Although this allele produces normal amounts of ASA mRNA, no arylsulfatase A cross-reacting material could be detected in cultured fibroblasts from the patient. The patient was found to be a compound heterozygote, the other allele is also known to generate no ASA polypeptides. This patient is another example where absence of ASA polypeptides correlates with the severe late infantile form of metachromatic leukodystrophy.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gieselmann V, Polten A, Kreysing J, Figura K von (1989) Arylsulfatase A pseudodeficiency: loss of polyadenylation signal and a N-glycosylation site. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86:9436–9440Google Scholar
- Kolodny EH (1989) Metachromatic leukodystrophy and multiple sulfatase deficiency: sulfatide lipidosis. In: Scriver CR, Beaudet AL, Sly WS, Valle D (eds) Metabolic basis of inherited disease, vol 2, 6th edn. McGraw-Hill, New York, pp 1721–1750Google Scholar
- Kreysing HJ, Figura K von, Gieselmann V (1990) The structure of the arylsulfatase A gene. Eur J Biochem 191:627–631Google Scholar
- Pohlmann R, Krentler C, Schmidt B, Schröder W, Lorkowski G, Cully J, Mersmann G, Geier C, Waheed A, Gottschalk S, Grzeschik K-H, Hasilik A, Figura K von (1988) Human lysosomal acid phosphatase: cloning, expression and chromosomal assignment. EMBO J 7:2343–2350Google Scholar
- Polten A, Fluharty AL, Fluharty CB, Kappler J, Figura K von, Gieselmann V (1991) Molecular basis of different forms of metachromatic leukodystrophy. N Engl J Med 324:18–22Google Scholar
- Stein C, Gieselmann V, Kreysing J, Schmidt B, Pohlmann R, Waheed A, Meyer HE, O'Brien JS, Figura K von (1989) Cloning and expression of human arylsulfatase A. J Biol Chem 264:1252–1259Google Scholar