Corrections for spatial velocity derivatives in a turbulent shear flow
- 87 Downloads
Possible corrections for measured spatial velocity derivatives have been inferred from a direct numerical simulation database for a fully developed turbulent channel flow. The magnitude of the correction depends much less on the distance from the wall for derivatives in the spanwise direction than for those in the wall-normal direction. Corrections based on local isotropy are better approximations for spanwise derivatives than for wall-normal derivatives.
KeywordsIsotropy Shear Flow Channel Flow Direct Numerical Simulation Local Isotropy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Antonia RA; Kim J (1992) Isotropy of Small Scale Turbulence, Proc. 1992 Summer Program: Studying Turbulence Using Numerical Simulation Database. Vol. IV, Stanford University/NASA-Ames Research Center, 123–136Google Scholar
- Antonia RA; Kim J; Browne LWB (1991) Some Characteristics of Small Scale Turbulence in a Turbulent Duct Flow. J Fluid Mech 233: 369–388Google Scholar
- Antonia RA; Mi J (1993) Corrections for Velocity and Temperature Derivatives in Turbulent Flows. Exp Fluids 14: 203–208Google Scholar
- Antonia RA; Zhu Y; Kim J (1993) On the Measurement of Lateral Velocity Derivatives in Turbulent Flows. Exp Fluids 15: 65–69Google Scholar
- Batchelor GK (1953) The Theory of Homogeneous Turbulence, Cambridge University, PressGoogle Scholar
- Champagne FH; Friehe CA; LaRue JC (1977) Flux measurements, Flux Estimation Techniques, and Fine-Scale Turbulence Measurements in the Unstable Surface Layer Over Land. J Atmos Sci 34: 515–530Google Scholar
- Kim J; Hussain F (1992) Propagation Velocity and Space-Time Correlation of Perturbations in Turbulent Channel Flow. NASA TM103932Google Scholar
- Kim J; Moin P; Moser R (1987) Turbulent Statistics in Fully Developed Channel Flow at Low Reynolds Number. J Fluid Mech 177: 133–166Google Scholar
- Wyngaard JC (1968) Measurement of Small-Scale Turbulence Structure With Hot Wires. J Sci Instrum (J Phys E) 1: 1105–1108Google Scholar
- Wyngaard JC (1969) Spatial Resolution of the Vorticity Meter and Other Hot-Wire Arrays. J Sci Instrum (J Phys E) 2: 983–987Google Scholar