Direct invasion of the transverse colon by a cecal tumor
- 37 Downloads
Direct invasion of the transverse colon is known to result from noncontiguous primary tumors spreading along ligamentous attachments or from direct extension of metastatic disease involving the greater omentum. The resultant desmoplastic reaction produces characteristic findings on barium enema. However, to our knowledge, these findings have not been reported to result from extension of a cecal tumor to the transverse colon via the pericolonic fat. We present such a case and discuss the radiographic findings.
Key wordsColon, neoplasms Barium enema Computed tomography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Meyers M. Intraperitoneal spread of malignancies and its effect on the bowel. Clin Radiol 1981;32:129–146Google Scholar
- 2.Rubesin SE, Levine MS. Omental cakes: colonic involvement by omental metastases. Radiology 1985;154:593–596Google Scholar
- 3.Krestin GP, Beyer D, Lorenz R. Secondary involvement of the transverse colon by tumors of the pelvis: spread of malignancies along the greater omentum. Gastrointest Radiol 1985;10:283–288Google Scholar
- 4.Solomon A, Bar-Ziv J, Stern D. Staging cecal and ascending colon carcinoma with computed tomography. Gastrointest Radiol 1988;13:152–154Google Scholar
- 5.Keeney G, Jafri ZH, Mezwa DG. Computed tomographic evaluation and staging of cecal carcinoma. Gastrointest Radiol 1989;14:65–69Google Scholar
- 6.Balthazar EJ, Megibow AJ, Hulnick D, Naidich DP. Carcinoma of the colon: detection and preoperative staging by CT. AJR 1988;150:301–306Google Scholar
- 7.Thoeni RF. CT evaluation of carcinomas of the colon and rectum. Radiol Clin North Am 1989;27:731–741Google Scholar
- 8.Abrams JS, Reines HD. Increasing incidence of right-sided lesions in colorectal cancer. Am J Surg 1979;137:522–526Google Scholar
- 9.Heald RJ, Bussey HJR. Clinical experiences at St. Mark's Hospital with multiple synchronous cancers of the colon and rectum. Dis Colon Rectum 1975; 18:6–10Google Scholar
- 10.Fischel RE, Dermer R. Multifocal carcinoma of the large intestine. Clin Radiol 1975;26:495–498Google Scholar