Distal radioulnar joint subluxation and dislocation diagnosed by standard roentgenography
The use of standard lateral roentgenography for diagnosing distal radioulnar joint (DRUJ) subluxation and dislocation was investigated. Using a wrist support, bilateral standard lateral roentgenograms of the wrist were obtained in 42 patients with normal wrists and in 56 patients with a unilateral wrist injury. In normal wrists the difference between the radioulnar distance in the right and the left wrist did not exceed 4 mm when the difference in the pisoscaphoid distance was less than 3 mm. Of the 36 patients with wrist injury whose difference in pisoscaphoid distance was less than 3 mm, 15 had a radioulnar distance of 5 mm or more, and computed tomography (CT) confirmed DRUJ dislocation in 14. Concordance between lateral roentgenograms and CT was present in 33 of 36 patients (92%). These results demonstrate the value of a standardized technique for bilateral lateral roentgenography in diagnosing DRUJ subluxation and dislocation.
Key wordsWrist, trauma Distal radioulnar dislocation Wrist, radiography Wrist, computed tomography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dameron TB. Traumatic dislocation of the distal radio-ulnar joint. Clin Orthop 1979; 83: 55.Google Scholar
- 2.Heiple KG, Freehafer AA, Hof AV. Isolated traumatic dislocation of the distal end of the ulna or distal radio-ulnar joint. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1962; 44: 1387.Google Scholar
- 3.Mino DE, Palmer AK, Levinsohn EM. The role of radiography and computerized tomography in the diagnosis of subluxation and dislocation of the distal radioulnar joint. J Hand Surg 1983; 8: 23.Google Scholar
- 4.Morrissy RT, Nalebuff EA. Dislocation of the distal radioulnar joint: anatomy and clues to prompt diagnosis. Clin Orthop 1979; 144; 154.Google Scholar
- 5.Epner RA, Bowers WH, Guilford WB. Ulnar variance: the effect of wrist positioning and roentgenfilming technique. J Hand Surg 1982; 7: 298.Google Scholar
- 6.Mino DE, Palmer AK, Levinsohn EM. Radiography and computerized tomography in the diagnosis of incongruity of the distal radio-ulnar joint. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1985; 67: 247.Google Scholar
- 7.Wechsler RJ, Wehbe MA, Rifkin ND, Edeiken J, Branch HM. Computed tomography diagnosis of distal radioulnar subluxation. Skeletal Radiol 1987; 16: 1.Google Scholar