MR imaging in intracystic hemorrhage of simple hepatic cysts
- 94 Downloads
Intracystic hemorrhage of simple hepatic cysts is one of the most frequent complications. Ul-trasonography (US) and computed tomography (CT) may show abnormal findings and mimic other diseases. We describe magnetic resonance (MR) imaging in four patients with intracystic hemorrhage confirmed by surgery or percutaneous aspiration. In all cases the lesions were hyperintense on both T1- and T2-weighted sequences. In three of the four cases the signal was heterogeneous on T1-weighted sequences. Two cases of a thickened wall and one case of a fluid-fluid level were also observed. We suggest that MR imaging may be helpful to differentiate intracystic hemorrhage from other cystic lesions by showing high signal on T1- and T2-weighted sequences.
Key wordsLiver, MR studies Liver cysts, imaging Liver cysts, MR studies
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Spiegel RM, King DL, Green WM. Ultrasonography of primary cysts of the liver. AJR 1978;131:235–238Google Scholar
- 2.Hadad AR, Westbrook KC, Graham GG, Morris WD, Campbell GS. Symptomatic non parasitic liver cysts. Am J Surg 1977;134:739–744Google Scholar
- 3.Murphy BJ, Casillas J, Ros PR, Morillo G, Albores-Saavedra J, Rolfes DB. The CT appearance of cystic masses of the liver. Radiographies 1989;9:307–321Google Scholar
- 4.Cappell MS. Obstructive jaundice from benign, non parasitic hepatic cysts: identification of risk factors and percutaneous aspiration for diagnosis and treatment Am J Gastroenterol 1988;83:93–96Google Scholar
- 5.Arrivé L, Kraiem C, Roche A. Diagnostic morphologique des tumeurs pseudo-kystiques du foie. Gastroenterol Clin Biol 1988;12:516–520Google Scholar
- 6.Gaines PA, Sampson MA. The prevalence and characterization of simple hepatic cysts by ultrasound examination. Br J Radiol 1989;62:335–337Google Scholar
- 7.Barnes PA, Thomas JL, Bernardino ME. Pitfalls in the diagnosis of hepatic cysts by computed tomography. Radiology 1981;141:129–133Google Scholar
- 8.Wilcox DM, Weinreb JC, Lesch P. MR imaging of a hemorrhagic hepatic cyst in a patient with polycystic liver disease. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1985;9:183–185Google Scholar
- 9.Wittenberg J, Stark DD, Forman BH, Hahn PF, Saini S, Weissleder R, Rummeny E, Ferrucci JT. Differentiation of hepatic metastases from hepatic hemangiomas and cysts by using MR imaging. AJR 1988;151:79–84Google Scholar
- 10.Kawashima A, Fishman EK, Hruban RH, Tempany CM, Kuhlman JE, Zerhouni A. Biliary cystadenoma with intratumoral bleeding: radiologic pathologic correlation. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1991;6:1035–1038Google Scholar