An unusual diagenetic structure in the Precambrian banded iron formation (BIF) of Orissa, India, and its interpretation
- 113 Downloads
An unusual type of late diagenetic tectonic and compaction structure simulating boudinage phenomena is described and documented from the Precambrian banded iron formation (BIF) of Orissa, India. The structure was seemingly initiated by the development of tension cracks in the hydroplastic stage followed by rotation and imbrication of the segments of the iron (magnetite) bands. The tension cracks were subsequently filled up by finely crystalline diagenetic quartz veins.
KeywordsIron India Compaction Mineral Resource Quartz Vein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alterman, W., Hälbich, I.W. (1990a) The tectogenesis of Proterozoic banded iron formations on the south-western Kaapval Craton, Abstracts Geocongress, 90, 23rd Earth Science Congress of the Geological Society of South Africa, 2–6 July, 1990, Cape Town, 192–195Google Scholar
- Alterman, W., Hälbich, I.W. (1990b) Thrusting, folding and stratigraphy of the Ghaap-Group along the south western margin of the Kaapvaal Craton. Jour. Geol. Soc. South Africa, 94Google Scholar
- Dunn, J.A., Dey, A.K. (1942) Geology and Petrology of Eastern Singhbhum and surrounding areas. Mem. Geol. Surv. Ind., 69, Pt. 2Google Scholar
- Iyenger, S.V.P., Murthy, Y.G.K. (1982) The evolution of archaean-proterozoic crusts in parts of Bihar and Orissa, Eastern India. Rec. Geol. Surv. Ind., 112, Pt. 3, 1–5Google Scholar
- Majumder, T, Chakraborty, K.L. (1977) Primary sedimentary structures in the banded iron-formation of Orissa. Sed. Geol. 19:287–300Google Scholar
- Majumder, T., Chakraborty, K.L. (1979) Petrography and Petrology of the Precambrian banded iron-formation of Orissa, India and reformation of the bands. Sed. Geol. 22:243–265Google Scholar
- Majumder, T., Chakraborty, K.L., Bhattacharyya, A. (1982) Geochemistry of banded iron formation of Orissa, India. Mineral. Deposita 17:107–118Google Scholar
- Saha, A.K., Ray, S.L. (1984) Early-middle crustal evolution of the Singhbhum-Orissa craton. In “Crustal evolution of the Indian shield and its bearing on metallogeny”. Seminar Volume, Indian J. Earth Sci., pp. 1–18, DecemberGoogle Scholar
- Sarkar, S.N., Saha, A.K., Miller, J. (1969) Geochronology of the Precambrian rocks of Singhbhum and adjacent regions, Eastern India. Geol. Mag. 106:15–45Google Scholar