A simple model for density of annual rings
- 65 Downloads
A simple model for density distribution within an annual ring is proposed. The model originates from the concept that a tree has two growing modes “early” and “late” wood mode respectively and that during a growing season there is transition from the first to second. An annual ring is described by six parameters. The use of the model is discussed and a number of possible “measures” are suggested. The advantages and limitations of the model is also discussed.
KeywordsSimple Model Density Distribution Material Processing Annual Ring Wood Mode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cameron, et al. 1959: The determination of wood density using beta rays, Holzforschung 13: 78–84Google Scholar
- Ferrand, J.-C. 1982: Considerations on wood density, Part 2, Holzforschung 36: 153Google Scholar
- Jonsson, B., Dissing, E., Pernestål, K. 1990: A high resolution and a high speed annual ring analyser with automatic angle alignment, Section of forest mensuration and management, Department of biometry and forest management, Report 19 Umeå, Sweden 1990Google Scholar
- Larsson, B., Pernestål, K., Jonsson, B. 1994: Sample preparation in microdensitometry, Section of forest mensuration and management, Department of biometry and forest management, Report in press, Umeå, Sweden 1994Google Scholar
- Liu, C. J., Tian, Yi 1991: Theoretical wood densitometry: III Mean density and density variation on stem cross-sections, Wood and Fibre Science 23: 273–289Google Scholar
- Pernestål, K.; Jonsson, B. 1994: A method for automatic collimator alignment in micro densitometry, submitted to Wood and Fibre ScienceGoogle Scholar
- Polge, H. 1965: Study of wood density variations by densitometric analysis of X-ray negatives of samples taken with a Pressler auger, Paper presented at the IUFRO meeting 1965 Oct MelbourneGoogle Scholar
- Press, W. H., Flannery, B. P., Teukolsky, S. A., Vettering, W. T. 1986: Numerical Recipies, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 1986Google Scholar
- Schweingruber, F. H. 1988: Treerings; Basics and applications of dendrochronology, 1988 Kluwer Academic Publishers Dordrecht The NetherlandsGoogle Scholar