Water requirement of Aloe vera in a dry caribbean climate
- 116 Downloads
As hardly any data can be found on the water requirement and yield response to water of Aloe vera, an irrigation experiment on transplanted aloe poles was conducted on the Caribbean island of Aruba. Compared to non-irrigated treatments irrigation shows a positive influence on growth, number of developed leaves, raw gel figure and gel production per plant. The amount of irrigation water to apply can be best calculated based on crop coefficients (Kc) between 0.20 and 0.30. Treatment based on a Kc value higher than 0.30 did not further increase production. A lysimeter study conducted over a relatively short period revealed that the crop coefficient for Aloe vera varied between 0.25 and 0.40 which is characteristic of the so-called agave/pineapple group.
KeywordsWater Management Water Pollution Irrigation Water Positive Influence Water Requirement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aboukhaled A (1982) Lysimeters. FAO irrigation and drainage paper 39. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome.Google Scholar
- Buy FJ du, Schooten CAM van (1989) Verslag van de stagetijd. Agricultural University Wageningen (Dutch, not published).Google Scholar
- Cobley LS (1963) An introduction to the botany of tropical crops. Longhmans, Green and Co Ltd, Bristol, p 254.Google Scholar
- Doorenbos J, Kassam AH (1979) Yield response to water. FAO irrigation and drainage paper 33. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome.Google Scholar
- Doorenbos J, Pruitt WO (1977) Crop water requirements. FAO irrigation and drainage paper 24. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome.Google Scholar
- Grindlay D, Reynolds T (1986) The Aloe vera phenomenon: a review of the properties and modern uses of the leaf parenchyma gel. J Ethnopharmacol 16:117.Google Scholar
- Grontmij NV, Sogreah (1968) Water and land resources, development plan for the islands, Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao. De Bilt, The Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Schooten CAM van (1990) Bodemtechnische evaluatie van de cultuurperspectieven van Aloë vera L. op. Aruba. Agricultural University Wageningen (Dutch, unpublished manuscript).Google Scholar