Failure of spring turnover in Onondaga Lake, NY, U.S.A.
- 44 Downloads
Onondaga Lake, N.Y., failed to turnover in the spring of 1986 because of the strong chemical stratification under the ice that developed as a result of ionic discharges from an alkali plant. This stratification had a negative impact on the O2 resources of the lake, as the lower depleted layers of the lake were not replenished with O2. Anoxia and anaerobiesis in the bottom water expanded following ‘ice-out’. Comparison of characteristics observed for the winter through spring interval of 1986 with historic data indicates Onandaga Lake has failed to experience spring turnover in a number of years (approximately 7 of the last 18 yr) because of the ionic discharges from the alkali plant.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Public Health Association: 1982,Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 14th ed. Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Effler, S. W. and Owens, E. M.: 1986,Water, Air, and Soil Pollut. 28, 105.Google Scholar
- Efller, S. W., Owens, E. M., and Schimel, K. A.: 1986a,Water, Air, and Soil Pollut. 27, 247.Google Scholar
- Effler, S. W., Perkins, M. G., and Brooks, C. M.: 1986b,Water, Air, and Soil Pollut. (in press).Google Scholar
- Effler, S. W., Schimel, K., and Millero, F. J.: 1986c,Water, Air, and Soil Pollut. 27, 169.Google Scholar
- Hutchinson, G. E.: 1941,Ecol. Monogr. 11, 21–60.Google Scholar
- Hutchinson, G. E.: 1957,A Treatise on Limnology, Vol. I, ‘Geography, Physics and Chemistry’, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, NY.Google Scholar
- Litten, S., Effler, S. W., and Meyer, M.: 1980,Development of a Simple Means for Predicting Algal Blooms, Report to the Office of Water Research and Training, Ithaca, New York.Google Scholar
- Onondaga County: 1970–1986,Onondaga Lake Monitoring Program, Annual Publication, pOnondaga County, New York.Google Scholar
- Rand, M. C.: ‘Section 10-Chemical Considerations’, inOnondaga Lake Study, Water Pollution Control Research Series, Report 11060.Google Scholar
- Stewart, K. M.: 1979, Book Review of:Lakes of New York State, Am. Scient. 67, 480.Google Scholar
- Stewart, K. M. and Stewart, W. A.: 1983,Arch. Hydrobiol. 98, 250–264.Google Scholar
- Wetzel, R. G.: 1983,Limnology (2nd ed.), Sounders College Publishing, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.Google Scholar