The temperature variations in the troposphere, stratosphere, and mesosphere of the Northern Hemisphere, 1965–1981
- 20 Downloads
We have used temperature data obtained from radiosondes and rocketsondes for the time interval 1965–1981 to estimate the interconnection of mean-annual temperature fluctuations at the various layers from the surface to the lower mesosphere of the Northern Hemisphere. Profiles of coefficients of correlation of the mean-annual temperature at each layer with mean-annual temperature at higher layers are shown for locations in the low, middle, and high latitudes. It is suggested that the mean-annual temperature variations at high latitudes of the troposphere are related with mean-annual temperature variations of the high latitudes of the lower stratosphere. Also, the mean-annual temperature variations at the high latitudes of the lower stratosphere are connected with mean-annual temperature variations at the high latitudes of the upper stratosphere. Furthermore, the mean-annual temperature variations of the upper stratosphere have an impressive correlation with mean-annual temperature variations of the lower mesosphere for whole northern hemisphere.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Angell, J. K. and Korshover, J.: 1983, Global Temperature Variations in the Troposphere and Stratosphere 1958–1982, Mon. Weather Rev. 5, 901–921.Google Scholar
- Barnett, J. J.: 1974, The Mean Meridional Temperature Behaviour of the Stratosphere from November 1970 to November 1971 derived from Measurements by Sellective Chopper Radiometer on Nimbus IV, Q.J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc. 100, 505–5300.Google Scholar
- Jonson, K. W. and Gelman, M. E.: 1984, ‘Trends in the Upper Stratospheric Temperatures as Observed by Rocketsonds (1965–1983)’, Proc. MAP Symposium, Kyoto, Japan.Google Scholar
- Labitzke, K.: 1983, A Survey over the PMR-I Winters 1978/79–1981/82 in Comparison with Earlier Winters, Adv. Space Res. 2, 149–157.Google Scholar
- Labitzke, K.: 1977, Comparison of the Stratospheric Temperature Distribution over Northern and Southern Hemispheres, COSPAR Space Res. XVII, 159–165.Google Scholar
- Labitzke, K. and Naujokat, B.: 1983, On the Variability and on Trends of the Temperature in the Middle Stratosphere, Contributions ot Atmospheric Phys. 56, 495–507.Google Scholar
- Quiroz, R. S.: 1979, Stratospheric Temperatures during Solar Cycle 20, J. Geoph. Res. 84, 2415–2420.Google Scholar
- Varotsos, C.: 1984, Temperature and Wind Fields in the Stratosphere and Lower Mesosphere, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Thessaloniki, Greece (in Greek).Google Scholar
- Varotsos, C. and Repapis, C. C.: 1986, Seasonal Variation of Upper Stratospheric and Lower Mesospheric Temperature, Arch. Mat. Geoph. Biocl. Ser. B36, 229–238.Google Scholar
- Zerefos, C. S.: 1983, Long-term Stratospheric Temperature Fluctuations and Solar Activity, Arch. Met. Geoph. Biocl. Ser. B32, 77–87.Google Scholar