Comparison of acoustic instruments in an atmospheric turbulent flow over water
- 61 Downloads
In the fall of 1968 an International Intercomparison Experiment was conducted to compare, among other things, acoustic anemometers designed for measurements of atmospheric turbulence. Excellent agreement was obtained in measurements of the vertical component, but an important discrepancy was revealed in measurements of the downwind velocity. The discrepancy proved far more significant in the cospectra than in the spectra themselves. It is evident that great care must be taken in the design of such instruments. An acoustic instrument was shown to have insufficient signal-to-noise ratio to serve as a thermometer under the near-neutral conditions often encountered over water.
Comparison of the data-handling and data-analysis techniques showed that although the methods differed widely, the results were essentially identical.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bovsheverov, V. M. and Voronov, V. P.: 1960, ‘Acoustic Wind Vane’, Izv. Acad. of Sci. U.S.S.R., Geophys. Series, No. 6.Google Scholar
- Kaimal, J. C.: 1969, ‘Measurement of Momentum and Heat Flux Variations in the Surface Boundary Layer’, Radio Sci. 4, 1147–1153.Google Scholar
- Mitsuta, Y.: 1966, ‘Sonic Anemometer-Thermometer for General Use’, J. Meteorol. Soc. Japan, 44, 12–23.Google Scholar
- Mitsuta, Y.: 1967, ‘A Comparative Observation of a Sonic Anemometer and Traditional Methods of Vertical Velocity Measurement Special Contribution’, Geophys. Institute, Kyoto Univ., No. 7.Google Scholar
- Tsvang, L. R.: 1960, ‘Measurements of Frequency Spectra of Temperature Fluctuations in an Atmospheric Boundary Layer over Land’, Izv. Acad. Sci. U.S.S.R., Geophys. Series, No. 8.Google Scholar
- Volkov, Yu. A. and Mordukhovich, M. I.: 1971, ‘Spectra of Turbulent Momentum and Heat Fluxes over the Wavy Sea Surface’, Izv. Acad. Sci. U.S.S.R., Phys. Atmosphere Ocean 7, No. 1.Google Scholar
- Zubkovsky, S. L.: 1962, ‘Frequency Spectra of Fluctuations of the Horizontal Component of Wind Speed in a layer of Air near the Ground’, Izv. Acad. Sci. U.S.S.R., Geophys. Series, No. 10.Google Scholar
- Zubkovsky, S. L. and Koprov, B. M.: 1969, ‘Experimental Investigations of Spectra of Turbulent Heat Fluxes and the Amount of Movement in an Atmospheric Boundary Layer over Land’, Izv. Acad. Sci. U.S.S.R., Phys. Atmosphere Ocean, 5, No. 4.Google Scholar