Benign gastric tumors
- 44 Downloads
Background: Historically, major subsets of benign gastric tumors requiring surgical excision have required open laparotomy.
Methods: We have used laparoscopy to resect lesions in eight such patients. Lesion locations were gastroesophageal junction (one), gastric body (three), and pylorus (four). Four lesions were successfully located by instrument palpation. Six lesions were excised using gastrotomy, eversion of tumor, and resection, followed by stapled gastrotomy closure. The lesion at the posterior GE junction was evaluated through a gastrotomy and resected transgastrically. The two pyloric lesions were removed by laparoscopic distal gastrectomy and gastrojejunostomy.
Results: Procedure times were 55–210 min; oral feeding was instituted on postoperative day 1–5; patients were discharged 1–6 days postoperatively.
Conclusions: Benign tumors of the stomach may be approached and resected laparoscopically; a transgastric, intra-organ approach is safe and efficient; laparoscopic distal gastrectomy is safe and technically feasible; patients have a shorter recovery interval and shorter postoperative hospital stay. Cautious progress in this field is recommended.
Key wordsLaparoscopic gastrectomy Laparoscopic transgastric gastroscopy Benign gastric tumor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anvari M, Park A (1994) Laparoscopic-assisted vagotomy and distal gastrectomy. Surg Endosc 8: 1312–1315Google Scholar
- 2.Clancy TV, Moore PM, Ramshaw DG, Kays CR (1994) Laparoscopic excision of benign gastric tumor. J Laparoendosc Surg 4: 277–280Google Scholar
- 3.Fowler DL, White SA (1991) Laparoscopic resection of submucosal gastric lipoma: a case report. J Laparoendosc Surg 1: 303–306Google Scholar
- 4.Goh P, Tekant Y, Isaac J, Kum CK, Ngoi SS (1992) The technique of laparoscopic Billroth II gastrectomy. Surg Laparosc Endosc 2: 258–260Google Scholar
- 5.Kitano S, Iso Y, Moriyama M, Sugimachi K (1994) Laparoscopy-assisted Billroth I gastrectomy. Surg Laparosc Endosc 4: 146–148Google Scholar
- 6.Lointier P, Leroux S, Ferrier C, Dapoigny M (1993) A technique of laparoscopic gastrectomy and Billroth II gastrojejunostomy. J Laparoendosc Surg 3: 353–364Google Scholar
- 7.Llorente J (1994) Laparoscopic gastric resection for gastric leiomyoma. Surg Endosc 8: 887–889Google Scholar
- 8.Lukaszczyk JJ, Preletz RJ (1992) Laparoscopic resection of benign stromal tumor of the stomach. J Laparoendosc Surg 2: 331–334Google Scholar