A field experiment was conducted using a linear-move irrigation machine to test the interactive effects of irrigation uniformity, a representative length of nonuniformity and water quality on crop yield and growth responses. Christiansen's uniformity coefficient values of 60, 80, and 90% were achieved with a sinusoidal pattern of applied water superimposed on the 60 and 80% uniformity treatments. Two wave-lengths 2.4 m (S) and 4.9 m (L), were used. Water qualities used were: 0.3 dS m-1 and 3 to 5 dS m-1. Results showed that both the magnitude and the scale of the nonuniformity affect the water use efficiency. Sugar yields were not affected by water quality. Yields on a row basis were significantly correlated to applied water in the 60% uniformity, long scale length (60-L) treatment.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- DeWit CT (1958) Transpiration and crop yields. Inst Biol Chem Res Field Crops Herb Vergel Landbouwkd Ondez 64.6, WageningenGoogle Scholar
- Bresler E, Hoffman GJ (1986) Irrigation management for soil salinity control: Theories and field tests. Soil Sci Soc Am J 50:1552Google Scholar
- Gardner WR, Warrick AW, Halderman AD (1982) Soil variability and measures of irrigation efficiency. Paper No. 82-2106. Presented at 1982 Summer ASAE MeetingGoogle Scholar
- Halvorson AD, Hartman GP (1980) Response of several sugar-beet cultivars to N fertilization. Yield and crown tissue production. Agron J 72:665Google Scholar
- Hanks RJ (1984) Prediction of crop yield and water consumption under saline conditions. In: Shainberg I, Shalhevet J (eds) Soil salinity under irrigation processes and measurements. Ecological Studies 51. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New YorkGoogle Scholar
- James DW, Doney DL, Theurer JC, Hurst RL (1978) Sugarbeet genotype, N, and soil moisture availability interactions in components of beet yield and quality. Argon J 70:525Google Scholar
- Kafkafi V (1984) Plant nutrition under saline conditions. In: Shainberg I, Shalhevet J (eds) Soil salinity under irrigation processes and measurements. Ecological Studies 51. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Letey J (1985) Irrigation uniformity as related to optimum crop production — additional research is needed. Irrig Sci 6:253Google Scholar
- Letey J, Dinar A, Knapp KC (1985) Crop-water production function model for saline irrigation waters. Soil Sci Soc Am J 49:1005Google Scholar
- Solomon KH (1984 a) Water-salinity-production-functions. Paper No. 84-2616. Presented at the 1984 Winter ASAE MeetingGoogle Scholar
- Solomon KH (1984b) Yield-related interpretations of irrigation uniformity and efficiency measures. Irrig Sci 5:161Google Scholar
- Warrick AW, Gardner WR (1983) Crop yield as affected by spatial variation of soil and irrigation. Water Resources Res. 19:181Google Scholar