Phase II study of intravenous 6-thioguanine in patients with advanced carcinoma of the pancreas
In a phase II study, 32 patients with advanced pancreatic carcinoma were treated with intravenous 6-thioguanine. A 30-min infusion of 55 mg/m2 (starting dose) was administered once a day for 5 consecutive days, the course being repeated every 5 weeks. A median of two courses (range, 1–10) was administered. Among the 32 patients, 30 having measurable cancer and optimum follow-up were fully assessable for response. One patient achieved a partial response of extensive liver metastases (12 + months), and another patient had a transient minor response (5 weeks). Cancer in 27 of 30 assessable patients progressed during intravenous 6-thioguanine treatment. Myelosuppression, although frequent, was mild to moderate at these doses and did not result in significant morbidity. Nonhematologic toxicities were also mild. Our data suggest that intravenous 6-thioguanine given at this schedule is ineffective in previously untreated patients with advanced carcinoma of the pancreas.
key wordsintravenous 6-thioguanine pancreatic carcinoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Silverberg E, Boring CC, Squires TS: Cancer statistics, 1990. Ca 40:9–26, 1990Google Scholar
- 3.Bodey GP, Ajani JA: Chemotherapeutic and hormonal approaches to treatment of pancreatic cancer. In: Howard JM, Jordan GL, Reber HA (eds) Surgical Diseases of the Pancreas. Philadelphia, Lea and Febiger, pp. 748–761, 1987Google Scholar
- 4.Allan PW, Bennet LL: 6-Methylthioguanylic acid, a metabolite of 6-thioguanine. Biochem Pharmacol 20: 847–852, 1971Google Scholar
- 5.Hampton A: Reactions of ribonucleotide derivations of purine analogs at the catalytic site of inosine 5′ phosphate dehydrogenase. J Biol Chem 238:3068–3074, 1963Google Scholar
- 6.Konits PH, Egorin MJ, Van Echo DA, et al.: Phase II evaluation and plasma pharmacokinetics of high-dose intravenous 6-thioguanine in patients with colorectal carcinoma. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 8:199–203, 1982Google Scholar
- 7.Kovach JS, Rubin J, Creagan ET, Schutt AJ, Kvols LK, Svingen PA, Hu TC: Phase I trial of parenteral 6-Thioguanine given on 5 consecutive days. Cancer Res 46:5959–5962, 1986Google Scholar
- 8.LePage GA, Whitacar JP. Pharmacology of 6-thioguanine in man. Cancer Res 31:1627–1631, 1982Google Scholar
- 9.Lu K, Benvenuto JA, Bodey GP, et al.: Pharmacokinetics and metabolism of beta-2′-deoxythioguanosine and 6-thioguanine in man. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 8:119–123, 1982Google Scholar
- 10.The National Cancer Institute's Annual Report to the FDA; IV 6-Thioguanine (NSC 752). May 1987Google Scholar