Analyzing the mosaic structure of genes
- 696 Downloads
Some genes in prokaryotes consist of a mosaic of regions derived from different ancestors by horizontal gene transfer. A method is described for demonstrating the statistical significance of such mosaic structure and for locating the crossover points separating different regions.
KeywordsMosaic structure Recombination Genetic transformation Penicillin resistance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dowson CG, Hutchison A, Brannigan JA, George RC, Hausman D, Linares J, Tomasz A, Maynard Smith J, Spratt BG (1989) Horizontal transfer of penicillin-binding genes in penicillin-resistant clinical isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86:8842–8846Google Scholar
- Drouin G, Dover GA (1990) Independent gene evolution in the potato actin gene family demonstrated by phylogenetic procedures for resolving gene conversions and the phylogeny of angiosperm actin genes. J Mol Evol 31:132–150Google Scholar
- Du Bose RF, Dykhuisen DE, Hartl DL (1988) Genetic exchange among natural isolates of bacteria: recombination within the phoA gene of Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 85:7036–7040Google Scholar
- Estabrook GF (1978) Some concepts for the estimation of evolutionary relationships in systematic biology. Syst Bot 3:146–158Google Scholar
- Sawyer S (1989) Statistical tests for detecting gene conversion. Mol Biol Evol 6:526–538Google Scholar
- Spratt BG (1988) Hybrid penicillin-binding proteins in penicillin-resistant strains of Neisseria gonorrhoeae. Nature 332:173–176Google Scholar
- Spratt BG, Zhang Q-Y, Jones DM, Hutchison A, Brannigan JA, Dowson CG (1989) Recruitment of a penicillin-binding protein from Neisseria flavescens during the emergence of penicillin resistance in Neisseria meningitidis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86:8988–8992Google Scholar
- Spratt BG, Bowler LD, Zhang Q-Y, Zhou J, Maynard Smith J (1992) Role of interspecies transfer of chromosomal genes in the evolution of penicillin resistance in pathogenic and commensal Neisserea species. J Mol Evol 34:115–125Google Scholar
- Stephens JC (1985) Statistical methods of DNA sequence analysis: detection of intragenic recombination or gene conversion. Mol Biol Evol 2:539–556Google Scholar