Visual acuities and scotomas after 3 weeks' levodopa administration in adult amblyopia
- 45 Downloads
Background: Previous studies have shown that both a single dose of levodopa and a 1-week administration of levodopa improve visual functions in adult amblyopic patients. In the present study, we investigated the effect of increased dosage and duration of levodopa on amblyopes' visual functions. • Methods: Visual acuity and visual fields were examined before and after 3 weeks of daily administration of levodopa/carbidopa as well as 1 month and 2 months after completion of drug therapy in a double masked-design. • Results: A significant increase in visual acuities and a decrease in fixation point scotomas were found. Changes were of comparable dimension to those found after 1 week of levodopa administration. Improvement of visual functions persisted 2 months after the levodopa/carbidopa administration was completed. • Conclusion: The present study confirms previous findings of improvement in visual function in amblyopia after levodopa/carbidopa administration. However, increasing the dosage and the duration of levodopa did not enhance the effect in adults.
KeywordsPublic Health Single Dose Visual Acuity Visual Field Levodopa
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gottlob I, Stangler-Zuschrott E (1990) Effect of levodopa on contrast sensitivity and scotomas in human amblyopia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 31:776–780Google Scholar
- 2.Gottlob I, Charlier J, Reinecke RD (1992) Visual acuities and scotomas after one week of levodopa administration in human amblyopia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 33:2722–2728Google Scholar
- 3.Haase W, Hohmann A (1982) Ein neuer Test (C-Test) zur quantitativen Prffung der Trennschwierigkeiten (“crowding”) — Ergebnisse bei Amblyopie und Ametropie. Klin Monatsbl Augenheilkd 180:210–215Google Scholar
- 4.Leguire LE, Rogers GL, Bremer DL, Walson P, Hadjiconstantinou-Neff M (1992) Levodopa and childhood amblyopia. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus 29:290–298Google Scholar
- 5.Leguire LE, Rogers GL, Bremer DL, Watson P, McGregor M (1993) Levodopa/carbidopa for childhood amblyopia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 34:3090–3095Google Scholar
- 6.Leguire LE, Rogers GL, Walson P, Bremer DL, Mc Gregor M (1993) Longitudinal study for levodopa/carbidopa for childhood amblyopia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci [Suppl] 34:710Google Scholar
- 7.Westheimer G (1979) Scaling of visual acuity measurements. Arch Ophthalmol 97:327–330Google Scholar