Visual acuities and scotomas after 3 weeks' levodopa administration in adult amblyopia
- 35 Downloads
Background: Previous studies have shown that both a single dose of levodopa and a 1-week administration of levodopa improve visual functions in adult amblyopic patients. In the present study, we investigated the effect of increased dosage and duration of levodopa on amblyopes' visual functions. • Methods: Visual acuity and visual fields were examined before and after 3 weeks of daily administration of levodopa/carbidopa as well as 1 month and 2 months after completion of drug therapy in a double masked-design. • Results: A significant increase in visual acuities and a decrease in fixation point scotomas were found. Changes were of comparable dimension to those found after 1 week of levodopa administration. Improvement of visual functions persisted 2 months after the levodopa/carbidopa administration was completed. • Conclusion: The present study confirms previous findings of improvement in visual function in amblyopia after levodopa/carbidopa administration. However, increasing the dosage and the duration of levodopa did not enhance the effect in adults.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gottlob I, Stangler-Zuschrott E (1990) Effect of levodopa on contrast sensitivity and scotomas in human amblyopia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 31:776–780Google Scholar
- 2.Gottlob I, Charlier J, Reinecke RD (1992) Visual acuities and scotomas after one week of levodopa administration in human amblyopia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 33:2722–2728Google Scholar
- 3.Haase W, Hohmann A (1982) Ein neuer Test (C-Test) zur quantitativen Prffung der Trennschwierigkeiten (“crowding”) — Ergebnisse bei Amblyopie und Ametropie. Klin Monatsbl Augenheilkd 180:210–215Google Scholar
- 4.Leguire LE, Rogers GL, Bremer DL, Walson P, Hadjiconstantinou-Neff M (1992) Levodopa and childhood amblyopia. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus 29:290–298Google Scholar
- 5.Leguire LE, Rogers GL, Bremer DL, Watson P, McGregor M (1993) Levodopa/carbidopa for childhood amblyopia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 34:3090–3095Google Scholar
- 6.Leguire LE, Rogers GL, Walson P, Bremer DL, Mc Gregor M (1993) Longitudinal study for levodopa/carbidopa for childhood amblyopia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci [Suppl] 34:710Google Scholar
- 7.Westheimer G (1979) Scaling of visual acuity measurements. Arch Ophthalmol 97:327–330Google Scholar