Impact of magnetic resonance imaging and computed tomography on the staging of laryngeal cancer
- 34 Downloads
This retrospective study quantitatively assessed the effects of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed tomography (CT) on the staging of laryngeal cancer. A blind comparison between CT and MRI was made in a group of previously untreated patients with squamous cell carcinomas of the larynx. From June 1992 to November 1993, 29 patients were eligible for study. Of these, 14 patients (48%) had supraglottic lesions, 11 patients (40%) had glottic lesions and 4 patients (14%) had both. No subglottic lesions were seen. The data suggest that clinical staging of laryngeal tumors is inadequate. MRI proved superior to CT for staging tumors, especially those confined to the supraglottis. Nevertheless, clinically staged T1 or T2 lesions could be adequately assessed by CT alone. Findings also indicate that MRI should be reserved for T3 or T4 clinically staged lesions. Furthermore, most nodal disease can be staged by CT.
Key wordsLaryngeal cancer Tumor staging Computed tomography Magnetic resonance imaging
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Castelijns JA (1991) Diagnostic radiology of head and neck oncology. Curr Opin Oncol 3:512–518Google Scholar
- 2.Giron J, Joffre P, Serres-Cousine O, Castan P, Senac JP (1990) L'imagerie par resonance magnetique du larynx apport compare a celui de la tomodensitometrie dans le bilan pre-therapeutique des cancers du larynx. Ann Radiol 33:174–184Google Scholar
- 3.Giron J, Joffre P, Serres-Cousine O, Senac JP (1993) CT and MR evaluation of laryngeal carcinomas. J Otolaryngol 22:284–293Google Scholar
- 4.Holleb AI, Fink DJ, Murhpy G (1991) American Cancer Society textbook of clinical oncology. American Cancer Society, Atlanta, pp 306–328Google Scholar
- 5.Joffre P, Giron J, Fraga J, Serres-Cousine O, Senac JP, Lamarque JL, Balmigere G, Guerrier B, Castan P (1988) Comparaison IRM/TDM dans le bilan pre-operatoire des cancers du larynx. J Radiol 69:387–396Google Scholar
- 6.Lufkin RB, Hanafee W, Wortham D, Hoover L (1986) Larynx and hypopharynx: MR imaging with surface coils. Radiology 158:747–754Google Scholar