Wave propagation in a magnetically structured atmosphere
The propagation of waves in a magnetic slab embedded in a magnetic environment is investigated. The possible modes of propagation are examined from the general dispersion relation, both analytically and numerically, for disturbances which are evanescent in the environment. Approximate dispersion relations governing propagation in a slender slab of field are derived both from the general dispersion relation and from an application of the slender flux tube approximation.
Several different situations, representative of both photospheric and coronal conditions, are considered. In general, the structures are found to support both fast and slow, body and surface, waves. Under coronal conditions, for two dimensional propagation, disturbances propagate as fast and slow body waves. The fast body waves are analogous to the ducted shear waves of seismology (Love waves).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chakraborty, B. B.: 1968, Prog. Theor. Phys. 40, 210.Google Scholar
- Defouw, R. J.: 1976, Astrophys. J. 209, 266.Google Scholar
- Ewing, W. M., Jardetzky, W. S., and Press, F.: 1957, Elastic Waves in Layered Media, McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Giovanelli, R. G.: 1975, Solar Phys. 44, 299.Google Scholar
- Goedbloed, J. P.: 1971, Physica 53, 412.Google Scholar
- Love, A. E. H.: 1911, Some Problems of Geodynamics, Chapter XI, C.U.P.Google Scholar
- Parker, E. N.: 1979, Cosmical Magnetic Fields, Chapter 8, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Roberts, B.: 1981a, Solar Phys. 69, 27 (Paper I).Google Scholar
- Roberts, B.: 1981b, Solar Phys. 69, 39 (Paper II).Google Scholar
- Roberts, B. and Webb, A. R.: 1978, Solar Phys. 56, 5.Google Scholar
- Roberts, B. and Webb, A. R.: 1979, Solar Phys. 64, 77.Google Scholar
- Spruit, H. C.: 1982, Solar Phys. 75, 3.Google Scholar
- Uberoi, C. and Somasundaram, K.: 1980, Plasma Phys. 22, 747.Google Scholar
- Webb, A. R.: 1980, Ph.D. Thesis, St. Andrews University.Google Scholar
- Wentzel, D. G.: 1979a, Astrophys. J. 227, 319.Google Scholar
- Wentzel, D. G.: 1979b, Astron. Astrophys. 76, 20.Google Scholar
- Wilson, P. R.: 1980, Astron. Astrophys. 87, 121.Google Scholar