Brain metastases in osteosarcoma: incidence, clinical and neuroradiological findings and management options
- 109 Downloads
Brain metastasis is uncommon in osteosarcoma, but this may be changing with prolonged patient survival in the modern chemotherapy era. We present 5 patients with brain metastases out of 39 with lung metastasis (13%) in a total of 87 osteosarcoma patients.
The clinical manifestations of brain metastases were catastrophic: massive hemorrhage in 2 and status epilepticus in 3. Metastases were single or multiple, and some were osteoblastic. Surgical intervention in 2 cases resulted in dramatic, though transient, clinical improvement.
We advocate periodic neuroradiology screening in osteosarcoma patients with lung metastases, for early detection of brain involvement.
Key wordsosteosarcoma brain metastases presentation neuroradiology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rosen G: Spindle cell sarcoma-osteogenic sarcoma. In: Sutow WW Fernbach DJ, Vietti TJ (eds) Clinical Pediatric Oncology. St. Louis, C. V. Mosby, 1984Google Scholar
- 2.Jaffe N: Advances in the management of malignant bone tumors in children and adolescents. In: Pediatric Clinics of North America. Philadelphia, W. D. Sanders, 1985Google Scholar
- 3.McKenna RG, Schwinn CP, Soong KY, Higinbottom NL: Sarcomata of the osteogenic series: An analysis of 552 cases. J Bone Joint Surg 48A:1–26, 1966Google Scholar
- 4.Jeffree GM, Price CHG, Sessions HA: The metastatic patterns of osteosarcoma. Br J Cancer 32:87–107, 1975Google Scholar
- 5.Dahlin YDC, Conventry MB: Osteogenic sarcoma: A study of six hundred cases. J Bone Joint Surg 49:101–110, 1967Google Scholar
- 6.Jaffe N, Smith E, Abelson HT, Frei E, III: Osteogenic sarcoma: alterations in the pattern of pulmonary metastases with adjuvant chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol 1(4):251–254, 1983Google Scholar
- 7.McCarten KM, Jaffe N, Kirkpatrick JA: The changing radiographic appearance of osteogenic sarcoma. Ann Radiol 23:203–220, 1980Google Scholar
- 8.Giuliano AE, Feig S, Eilber FR: Changing metastatic patterns of osteosarcoma. Cancer 54:2160–2164, 1984Google Scholar
- 9.Doneman A, Martin DJ, Chan HSL: Cardiac metastasis from osteosarcoma: A report of two cases. J Comput Assist Tomogr 7:41–43, 1983Google Scholar
- 10.Takaue Y, Slopis JM, Anzai T, Robertson R, Jaffe N: Successful treatment of pulmonary and abdominal metastatic osteosarcoma. Med Pediatr Oncol 13:126–128, 1985Google Scholar
- 11.Danzinger J, Wallace S, Handel SF, deSantos LA: Metastatic osteogenic sarcoma to the brain. Cancer 43:707–710, 1979Google Scholar