Magnitude and causes of blindness in the developing world
- 189 Downloads
Table 5 summarises the available data on blindness prevalence for different areas of the world with estimates of the number of blind by continent.
KeywordsPublic Health Blindness Blindness Prevalence
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.World Health Organisation. Available Data on Blindness (Update 1987). World Health Organisation, Geneva. Unpublished document WHO/PBL/87.14.Google Scholar
- 2.MacDonald AE. Causes of Blindness in Canada. An analysis of 24,605 cases registered with Canadian National Institute for the Blind. Canad Med Assoc J 1965; 92: 264–79.Google Scholar
- 3.Royal National Institute for the Blind. Initial Demographic Study 1985. A review of available data on the visually disabled population.Google Scholar
- 4.Négrel AD, Massembo-Yako B, Botaka E, Minassian DC, Coddy-Zitsamélé R. Prevalence et causes de la cécité en République populaire du Congo.Google Scholar
- 5.Cohen N, Rahman H, Sprague J, Jahl M, Leambujis E, Mitra M. Prevalence of determinants of nutritional blindness in Bangladeshi children. World Health Statistics Quarterly 1985; 38: 317–29.Google Scholar
- 6.Brilliant GE et al. The Epidemiology of Blindness in Nepal. The Seva Foundation USA 1988.Google Scholar
- 7.Foster A. Childhood Blindness. Eye 1988; 2 Supp.: 527–36.Google Scholar
- 8.Cullinan TR. The Epidemiology of Blindness in ‘Clinical Ophthalmology’ ed. Sir Stephen Miller. Wright, Bristol 1987; Chap 23: 571–8.Google Scholar
- 9.Aclimandos WA, Galloway NR. Blindness in the City of Nottingham (1980–1985). Eye 1988; 2: 431–4.Google Scholar
- 10.Kahn HA, Moorhead HB. Statistics on Blindness in the Model Reporting Area, 1969–1970, US Department of Health Educ. and Welfare publ no [NIH] 73–427, Washington DC, US Govt Printing Office 1973.Google Scholar
- 11.Wormald R, Foster A. Clinical and Pathological Features of Chronic Glaucoma in North-East Ghana. Eye 1990 (In press).Google Scholar
- 12.Foster A. World Distribution of Blindness. Community Eye Health 1988; 1: 2–3.Google Scholar
© Kluwer Academic Publishers 1990