A comparison of coronal X-ray structures of active regions with magnetic fields computed from photospheric observations
- 28 Downloads
The appearances of several X-ray active regions observed on March 7, 1970 and June 15, 1973 are compared with the corresponding coronal magnetic field topology. Coronal fields have been computed from measurements of the longitudinal component of the underlying magnetic fields, under the current-free hypothesis. An overall correspondence between X-ray structures and calculated field lines is established, and the magnetic counterpart of different X-ray features is also examined. A correspondence between enhanced X-ray emission and the location of compact closed field lines is suggested by this study.
Representative magnetic field values calculated under the assumption of current-free fields are given for heights up to 200″.
KeywordsMagnetic Field Active Region Field Line Longitudinal Component Coronal Magnetic Field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Altschuler, M. D. and Newkirk, G.: 1969, Solar Phys. 9, 131.Google Scholar
- Harvey, J. W.: 1969, Ph.D. Thesis, Univ. of Colorado, Dept. of Astro-Geophysics.Google Scholar
- Krieger, A. S., Vaiana, G. S., and Van Speybroeck, L. P.: 1971 in R. Howard (ed.), ‘Solar Magnetic Fields’, IAU Symp. 43, 387.Google Scholar
- Levine, R.: 1974, private communication.Google Scholar
- Levine, R. and Altschuler, M.: 1974, Solar Phys. 36, 345.Google Scholar
- Livingston, W., Harvey, J., and Slaughter, C.: 1970, Nature 226, 1146.Google Scholar
- Newkirk, G., Jr., Trotter, D. E., Altschuler, M. D., and Howard, R.: 1972, Solar Phys. 24, 370.Google Scholar
- Rust, D. M.: 1966, Thesis, University of Colorado.Google Scholar
- Rust, D. M.: 1970, Astrophys. J. 160, 315.Google Scholar
- Rust, D. M. and Roy, J. R.: 1971 in R. Howard (ed.), ‘Solar Magnetic Fields’, IAU Symp. 43, 569.Google Scholar
- Schmidt, H. U.: 1964 in V. N. Ness (ed.), AAS-NASA Symposium on Physics of Solar Flares, NASA SP-50, 107.Google Scholar
- Tandberg-Hanssen, E.: 1971 in R. Howard (ed.), ‘Solar Magnetic Fields’, IA U Symp. 43, 192.Google Scholar
- Vaiana, G. S. and Giacconi, R.: 1969, in D. A. Tidman and D. G. Wentzel (eds.), Plasma Instabilities in Astrophysics, Gordon and Breach, N.Y., p. 91.Google Scholar
- Vaiana, G. S., Krieger, A. S., and Timothy, A. F.: 1973a, Solar Phys. 32, 81.Google Scholar
- Vaiana, G. S., Davis, J. M., Giacconi, R., Krieger, A. S., Silk, J. K., Timothy, A. F., and Zombeck, M.: 1973b, Astrophys. J. Letters 185, L47.Google Scholar
- Van Speybroeck, L. P., Krieger, A. S., and Vaiana, G. S.: 1970, Nature 227, 818.Google Scholar