A new mechanism has been proposed for the continuum and burst components of solar storm radiation by Genkin, Erukhimov, and Levin (1989a, b). In this paper, we point out that while bursts can be explained by the proposed mechanism of scattering on plasma turbulence generated density fluctuations, the continuum cannot be explained by sattering on thermal ion density fluctuations. The reason is, under the same coronal conditions, second harmonic emissions will dominate over the fundamental emission due to scattering on thermal ion density fluctuations in contradiction to observations. We also note that the range of plasma wave densities needed for this mechanism may not be realistic for the case of plasma wave generation due to loss cone instability. It is further argued that coalescence of plasma waves with low-frequency waves still seems to be the plausible mechanism.
KeywordsWave Generation Plasma Wave Wave Density Plausible Mechanism Density Fluctuation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Genkin, L. G., Erukhimov, L. M., and Levin, B. N.: 1989a, Soviet Astron. Letters 15, 71.Google Scholar
- Genkin, L. G., Erukhimov, L. M., and Levin, B. N.: 1989b, Soviet Astron. Letters 15, 33.Google Scholar
- Gopalswamy, N. and Kundu, M. R.: 1989, Solar Phys. 122, 145.Google Scholar
- Kerdraon, A. and Mercier, C.: 1983, Astron. Astrophys. 127, 132.Google Scholar
- Kundu, M. R.: 1965, Solar Radio Astronomy, Interscience, New York.Google Scholar
- Kundu, M. R. and Gopalswamy, N.: 1990, Solar Phys. (submitted).Google Scholar
- Melrose, D. B.: 1980a, Solar Phys. 67, 357.Google Scholar
- Melrose, D. B.: 1980b, Plasma Astrophysics, Vol. II, Gordon and Breach, New York.Google Scholar
- Stepanov, A. V.: 1974, Soviet Astron. 17, 781.Google Scholar
- Wentzel, D. G.: 1986, Solar Phys. 103, 141.Google Scholar
- Zaitsev, V. V. and Stepanov, A. V.: 1975, Astron. Astrophys. 45, 135.Google Scholar
- Zaitsev, V. V. and Stepanov, A. V.: 1983, Solar Phys. 88, 297.Google Scholar