Simultaneous saccharification and fermentation of pretreated biomass: Improving mass balance closure
The successful implementation of simultaneous saccharification and fermentation (SSF) technology for biomass conversion to ethanol requires competent analysis of complex biomass process streams, often obtained at extremes of pH. In this study, optimal conditions for handling biomass samples recovered from acid and alkaline pretreatments prior to traditional compositional analysis were developed. Methods for processing slurries from SSF were also determined. In both cases, a mixed wastepaper feedstock was used to test improved handling procedures and to document recommended performance.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agblevor, F.A., Chum, H.L. and Johnson, D.K. (1992). “Compositional Analysis of NIST Biomass Standards from the IEA Whole Feedstock Round Robin,” NREL/TP-431-4761.Google Scholar
- Chum, H.L. and Gellerstedt, G. (1991). “Proceedings of the IEA Pre-Symposium - Modern Methods of Analysis of Wood, Annual Plants and Lignins,” New Orleans, LA.Google Scholar
- Grohmann, K., Torget, R., and Himmel, M.E. (1985). Biotech. Bioeng. Symp. 15, 59–80.Google Scholar
- Moore, W.E. and Johnson, D.B. (1967). Procedures for the Chemical Analysis of Wood and Wood Products, USDA Forest Products Laboratory, Madison, WI.Google Scholar
- Tatsumoto, K., Baker, J.O., Tucker, M.P., Oh, K.K., Mohagheghi, A., Grohmann, K., and Himmel, M.E. (1988). Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 18, 159–174.Google Scholar
- Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry (TAPPI) Standard Methods T13, “Lignin in Wood,” TAPPI, Atlanta, GA.Google Scholar
- Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry (TAPPI) Standard Method T222, “Acid-Insoluble Lignin in Wood and Pulp,” TAPPI, Atlanta, GA.Google Scholar
- Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry (TAPPI) Standard Methods Tos-63, “Moisture in Paper and Paper Board,” TAPPI, Atlanta, GA.Google Scholar
- Vinzant, T.B., Ponfick, L., Nagle, N.J., Ehrman, C.I., Reynolds, J.B. and Himmel, M.E. (1993). Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. In press.Google Scholar
- Wilke, C.R., Yan, R.D., and von Stockar, U. (1976). Biotechnol. Bioeng. Symp. 6, 55.Google Scholar
- Wright, J.D., Wyman, C.E., and Grohmann, K. (1988). Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 17, 75–90.Google Scholar