Triangles inscribed in simple closed curves
We show that given any triangle T and any simple closed curve J ⊂ ℝ2 there are infinitely many triangles similar to T whose vertices are contained in J. In fact, the set of such vertices is dense in J.
KeywordsClosed Curf Simple Closed Curf
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jerrard, R., ‘Inscribed squares in plane curves’, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 98 (1961), 234–241.Google Scholar
- 2.Klee, V. and Wagon, S., Old and New Unsolved Problems in Plane Geometry and Number Theory, Math. Ass. Amer., 1991.Google Scholar
- 3.Kronheimer, E. H. and Kronheimer, P. B., ‘The tripos problem’, J. London Math. Soc. (2) 24 (1981), 182–192.Google Scholar
- 4.Meyerson, M. D., ‘Equilateral triangles and continuous curves’, Fund. Math. 110 (1980), 1–9.Google Scholar
- 5.Stromquist, W., ‘Inscribed squares and square-like quadrilaterals in closed curves’, Mathematika 36 (1989), 187–197.Google Scholar