Propagation and confinement of energetic electrons in solar flares
- 23 Downloads
The propagation, cofinement and total energy of energetic (>25 keV) electrons in solar flares are examined through a brief review of the following hard X-ray measurements: (1) spatially resolved observations obtained by imaging instruments; (2) stereoscopic observations of partially occulted sources providing radial (vertical) spatial resolution; and (3) directivity of the emission measured through stereoscopic observations and the center-to-limb variation of the occurrence frequency of hard X-ray flares. The characteristics of the energetic electrons are found to be quite distinct in impulsive and gradual hard X-ray flares. In impulsive flares the non-thermal electron spectrum seems to extend down to ∼2 keV indicating that the total energy of non-thermal electrons is much larger than that assumed in the past.
KeywordsTotal Energy Flare Electron Spectrum Occurrence Frequency Solar Flare
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brown, J.C.: 1986, in D.F.Neidig (ed.), The Lower Atmosphere of Solar Flares, National Solar Observatory Publ., p. 431.Google Scholar
- Kane, S.R.: 1974, in G. Newkirk Jr. (ed), ‘Coronal Disturbances,’ IAU Symp. 57, 105.Google Scholar
- Kane, S.R. et al.: 1980, in P. Sturrock (ed.), Solar Flares, Chapter 5, Colorado Assoc. Univ Press.Google Scholar
- Kane, S.R., and Urbarz, H.W.: 1986, in M.A. Shea and D.F. Smart (eds.), Proc. STIP Symposium on Retrospective Analyses, Book Crafters, Inc.Google Scholar
- Kane, S.R., Fenimore, E.E., Klebesadel, R.W., and Laros, J.: 1987, in H. Coffey and J. Allen (eds), Solar Geophysical Activity Reports for STIP Intervals XV and XVI, World Data Center A Report UAG-96, p. 101.Google Scholar
- Kane, S.R., Fenimore, E.E., Klebesadel, R.W., and Laros, J.: 1988, Astrophys. J. (in press).Google Scholar
- Ogawara, Y. et al.: 1987, Solar Phys. (in press).Google Scholar
- Rieger, E. Reppin, C. Kanbach, G., Forrest, D.J., Chupp, E.L., and Share, G.H.: 1983, in 18th International Cosmic Ray Conference Proc. (Later Papers), Bangalore, 10, 338.Google Scholar
- Tsuneta, S.: 1985, private communication mentioned in MacKinnon et al. (1985).Google Scholar