Global modes constituting the solar magnetic cycle
- 31 Downloads
The spherical-harmonic-Fourier analysis of the Sun's magnetic field inferred from the Greenwich sunspot data is refined and extended to include the full length (1874–1976) of the data on the magnetic tape provided by H. Balthasar. Perspective plots and grey level diagrams of the SHF power spectra for the odd and the even degree axisymmetric modes are presented. Comparing these with spectra obtained from two simulated data sets with random redistribution within the wings in the butterfly diagrams, we conclude that there is no clear evidence for the existence of any relation between the harmonic degree and the temporal frequency of the power concentrations of the inferred field. Apart from the power ‘ridge’ in the narrow frequency band at ∼ 1/21.4 y−1, and low ridges at odd multiples of this frequency, there are no other spectral features. This strongly suggests that the solar magnetic cycle consists of some global oscillations of the Sun ‘forced’ at a frequency ∼ 1/21.4 y−1 and, perhaps, weak resonances at its odd harmonics. The band width of the forcing frequency seems to be much less than 1/107 y−1. In case the global oscillations are torsional MHD, the significance of their parity and power peak is pointed out.
KeywordsMagnetic Tape Global Mode Harmonic Degree Narrow Frequency Band Global Oscillation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bracewell, B. N.: 1988, Monthly Notices Roy. Astron. Soc. 230, 535.Google Scholar
- Dicke, R. H.: 1977, Astrophys. J. 218, 547.Google Scholar
- Gokhale, M. H. and Javaraiah, J.: 1990a, Monthly Notices Roy. Astron. Soc. 243, 241.Google Scholar
- Gokhale, M. H. and Javaraiah, J.: 1990b, in E. R. Priest and V. Krishan (eds.), ‘Basic Plasma Processes on the Sun’, IAU Symp. 142, 119.Google Scholar
- Gokhale, M. H., Javaraiah, J., and Hiremath, K. M.: 1990, in J. O. Stenflo (ed.), ‘Solar Photosphere, Structure, Convection and Magnetic Fields’, IAU Symp. 138, 375.Google Scholar
- LaBonte, B. J. and Howard, R.: 1982, Solar Phys. 75, 161.Google Scholar
- Stenflo, J.: 1988, Astrophys. Space Sci. 144, 321.Google Scholar
- Stenflo, J. and Vogel, M.: 1986, Nature 319, 285.Google Scholar