A first-order closure scheme to describe counter-gradient momentum transport in plant canopies
- 107 Downloads
The gradient diffusion parameterization of the Reynolds stress is modified by adding a bulk momentum transport term. Comparisons to available data indicate that this term accounts for the gusts or ‘downsweeps’ of higher momentum fluid into the canopy and ejections of lower momentum fluid out of the canopy. This term results in realistic mean wind speed profiles.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blackadar, A. K.: 1962, ‘The Vertical Distribution of Wind and Turbulent Exchange in a Neutral Atmosphere’, J. Geophys. Res. 67, 3095–3102.Google Scholar
- Finnigan, J. J.: 1979, ‘Turbulence in Waving Wheat I. Mean Statistics and Honami’, Boundary-Layer Meteorolog. 16, 181–211.Google Scholar
- Gary, H. L.: 1976, ‘Crown Structure and Distribution of Biomass in a Lodgepole Pine Stand’, USDA Forest Service Research Paper, RM-165, 20 pp.Google Scholar
- Grass, A. J.: 1971, ‘Structural Features of Turbulent Flow over Smooth and Rough Boundaries’, J. Fluid Mech. 50, 233–55.Google Scholar
- Li, Z. J., Lin, J. D., and Miller, D. R.: 1983, ‘A Numerical Model of Airflow Through and over a Forest Edge’, Proc. 17th Conference on Fire and Forest Meteorology, Fort Collins, CO. American Meteorological Society, pp. 123–125.Google Scholar
- Nakagawa, H. and Nezu, I.: 1977, ‘Prediction of the Contributions to the Reynolds Stress from Bursting Events in Open-Channel Flows’, J. Fluid Mech. 80, 99–128.Google Scholar
- Raupach, M. R. and Thom, A. S.: 1981, ‘Turbulence in and Above Plant Canopies’, Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech. 13, 97–129.Google Scholar
- Raupach, M. R., Thom, A. S., and Edwards, I.: 1980, ‘A Wind Tunnel Study of Turbulent Flow Close to Regularly Arrayed Rough Surfaces’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 18, 373–397.Google Scholar
- Shaw, R. H., Den Hartog, G., King, K. M., and Thurtell, G. W.: 1974, ‘Measurements of Mean Windflow and Three-Dimensional Turbulence Intensity Within a Mature Corn Canopy’, Agric. Meteorol. 13, 419–425.Google Scholar
- Wilson, N. R. and Shaw, R. H.: 1977, ‘A Higher Order Closure Model for Canopy Flow’, J. Appl. Meteorol. 16, 1197–1205.Google Scholar