Approval voting and strategy analysis: A Venetian example
The author presents a historic reconstruction of the single-member constituency election system known as approval voting which was used to elect Venetian dogi for over 500 years. An interesting procedure theoretically, concurrent approval voting is the only sincere single-winner election system. Central issues concerning strategy choice under uncertainty are investigated using a contingency-dependent framework of individual behavior given prior probability distributions over decision relevant propositions. Extensions are then proposed for the use of approval procedures in modern elections and other collective decision-making situations. Finally the advantages of trichotomous preferences in decision and strategy analysis are argued.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arrow, K.: 1963,Social Choice and Individual Values, 2nd ed., Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Brams, S. J. and Fishburn, P. C.: 1978, ‘Approval Voting’,American Political Science Review 72, 831–847.Google Scholar
- Brams, S. J. and Fishburn, P. C.: 1981, ‘Efficacy, Power, and Equity under Approval Voting’,Public Choice 37, 425–434.Google Scholar
- Brams, S. J. and Fishburn, P. C.: 1983, ‘America's Unfair Elections’,The Sciences, Dec.Google Scholar
- Brams, S. J. and Fishburn, P. C.: 1983,Approval Voting, Birkhauser, Boston.Google Scholar
- Marquis de Condorcet: 1785,Essai sur l'application de l'analyse à la probabilité des décisions rendues à la pluralité des voix, Paris.Google Scholar
- Finlay, R.: 1980,Politics in Renaissance Venice, Ernest Benn, London.Google Scholar
- Harsanyi, J. C.: 1986, ‘Practical Certainty and the Acceptance of Empirical Statements’, inRecent Developments in the Foundations of Utility and Risk Theory, D. Reidel, Dordrecht (to appear).Google Scholar
- Maranini, B.: 1931,La Costituzione di Venezia, Dopo la Serrata del Maggior Consiglio, Venezia.Google Scholar
- da Mosto, A.: 1977,I Dogi di Venezia, Nella Vila Pubblica e Privata, Firenze.Google Scholar
- Norwich, J. J.: 1983,A History of Venice, Penguin Books, Suffolk.Google Scholar
- Romanin, S.: 1912,Storia Documentata di Venezia, 2nd ed., Vol. 2, G. Fuga (ed.), Venezia.Google Scholar