Corneal endothelial cell morphology under permanent wear of rigid contact lenses
- 32 Downloads
The influence of the permanent wear of rigid high Dk-lenses (nominal Dk 71 or 92) with elliptical geometry on the corneal endothelium was assessed. For this purpose the endothelium of 16 patients was compared by specular microscopy before and after the permanent wear. The wearing time of the lenses varied between 7 and 24 months. Computerized morphometric analysis of the photographs revealed that the variability in cell size (polymegathism) and in cell shape (pleomorphism) did not change during the wearing period. It is suggested that this is due to the high gas-permeability and the elliptical geometry of the contact lenses.
Key wordscorneal endothelium elliptical geometry high gas-permeability pleomorphism polymegathism rigid contact lens
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Schoessler JP. The corneal endothelium following 20 years of PMMA contact lens wear. The Clao Journal 1987; 13: 157–60.Google Scholar
- 2.Carlson KH, Bourne WM, Brubaker RF. Effect of long-term contact lens wear on corneal endothelial cell morphology and function. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1988; 29: 185–93.Google Scholar
- 3.Mac Rae SM, Matsuda M, Shellans S, Rich LF. The effects of hard and soft contact lenses on the corneal endothelium. Am J Ophthalmol 1986; 102: 50–7.Google Scholar
- 4.Holden BA, Sweeney DF, Vannas A, Nilsson KT, Efron N. Effects of long-term extended contact lens wear on the human cornea. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1985; 26: 1489–1501.Google Scholar
- 5.Schoessler JP. Corneal endothelial polymegathism associated with extended wear. Inter C L Clinic 1983; 10: 148–56.Google Scholar
- 6.Orsborn GN, Schoessler JP. Corneal endothelial polymegathism after the extended wear of rigid gas-permeable contact lenses. Am J Optom Physiol Opt 1988; 65: 84–90.Google Scholar
- 7.Liberman G, Mandell RB. Corneal endothelial polymegathism in high-Dk contact lens wearers. Inter C L Clinic 1988; 15: 282–5.Google Scholar
- 8.Rao GN, Aquavella JV, Goldberg SH, Berk SL. Pseudophakic bullous keratopathy. Relationship to preoperative corneal endothelial status. Ophthalmology 1984; 91: 1135–40.Google Scholar
- 9.Schoessler JP, Barr JT, Freson DR. Corneal endothelial observations of silicone elastomer contact lens wearers. Inter C L Clinic 1984; 11: 337–40.Google Scholar
- 10.Holden BA, Williams L, Zantos SG. The etiology of transient endothelial changes in the human cornea. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1985; 26: 1354–9.Google Scholar
- 11.Schoessler JP, Orsborn GN. A theory of corneal endothelial polymegethism and aging. Curr Eye Res 1987; 6: 301–6.Google Scholar