The real objective of Mendel's paper: A response to Monaghan and Corcos
Mendel's work in hybridization is ipso facto a study in inheritance. He is explicit in his interest to formulate universal generalizations, and at least in the case of the independent segregation of traits, he formulated his conclusions in the form of a law. Mendel did not discern, however, the inheritance of traits from that of the potential for traits. Choosing to study discrete non-overlapping traits, this did not hamper his efforts.
Key wordsHybridization and inheritance laws of inheritance Mendel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Falk, R.: 1986, ‘What Is a Gene?’. Studies in the History and Philosophy of Science 17, 133–173.Google Scholar
- Fisher, R. A.: 1932, ‘Has Mendel's Work Been Rediscovered?’, Annals of Science 1, 139–172.Google Scholar
- Mendel, G.: 1966, ‘Experiments on Plant Hybrids’, in C. Shern and E. Sherwood (eds.), The Origin of Genetics. A Mendel Source Book, W.H. Freeman, San Francisco, pp. 1–48.Google Scholar
- Monaghan, F. V. and A. F. Corcos: 1990, ‘The Real Objective of Mendel's Paper’, Biology and Philosophy 5, 267–292.Google Scholar
- Morgan, T. H.: 1919, The Physical Basis of Heredity, J.B. Lipincott Company, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Olby, R. C.: 1979, ‘Mendel no Mendelian?’, History of Science 17, 57–72.Google Scholar
- Orel, V.: 1977, ‘Selection Practice and Theory of Heredity in Moravia Before Mendel’, Acta Musei Moraviae 42, 179–200.Google Scholar
- Orel, V.: 1984, Mendel, Oxford University Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Russell, P. J.: 1980, Lecture Notes on Genetics, Blackwell, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Sandler, I.: 1983, ‘Pier Louis Morende Maupertius, a Precursor to Mendel?’, Journal of the History of Biology 16, 101–136.Google Scholar
- Suzuki, D. T. and A. F. Griffiths: 1976, An Introduction to Genetic Analysis, W.H. Freeman, San Francisco.Google Scholar
- Suzuki, D. T., A. F. Griffits, J. H. Miller and R. C. Lewontin: 1984, An Introduction to Genetic Analysis, W.H. Freeman, San Francisco.Google Scholar