A derivative of Zymomonas mobilis ATCC 10988 with impared ethanol production
- 22 Downloads
A derivative of Zymomonas mobilis ATCC 10988 has been isolated from cells treated with acridine orange. This derived strain, designated CU1, was found to have markedly decreased ethanol production and concomitant glucose utilisation capabilities when grown on high concentrations of glucose. Additionally, it was found that CU1 had altered alcohol dehydrogenase activity and also lacks at least one of the natural plasmids of Z.mobilis, the 3kb species.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brumer, R.L. (1964). Estimation of reducing value. In Methods in carbohydrate chemistry. R.L. Whistler (Ed.) Academic Press, Volume IV, 67–71.Google Scholar
- Dally, E.L., Stokes, H.W. and Eveleigh, D.E. (1982). A genetic comparison of strains of Zymomonas, mobilis, by analysis of plasmid DNA. Biotechnol. Lett. 4, 91–96.Google Scholar
- Drainas, C., Slater, A.A., Coggins, L., Montague, P., Costa, R.G., Ledingham, W.M. and Kinghorn, J.R. (1983). Electron microscopic analysis of Zymomonas mobilis strain ATCC 10988 plasmid DNA. Biotechnol. Lett. 5, 405–408.Google Scholar
- Dunny, G., Funk, C. and Adsit, J. (1981). Direct stimulation of the transfer of antibiotic resistance be sex pheromones in Streptococcus faecolis. Plasmid 6, 270–278.Google Scholar
- Lowry, O.H., Rosebrough, N.J., Farr, A.L. and Randall, R.J. (1951). Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193, 265–275.Google Scholar
- Lee, K.J., Tribe, D.E. and Rogers, P.L. (1979). Ethanol production by Zymomonas mobils. Biotechnol. Lett. 4, 253–256.Google Scholar
- Skotnicki, M.L., Lee, K.J., Tribe, E.E. and Rogers, P.L. (1980). R-plasmid transfer in Zymomonas mobilis. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 40, 7–12.Google Scholar
- Swings, J. and deLay, J. (1977). The biology of Zymomonas. Bacteriol. Rev. 41, 1–46.Google Scholar
- Van Vuuren, H.J.J. and Meyer, L. (1982). Production of ethanol from Zymomonas mobilis. Biotechnol. Lett. 4, 253–256.Google Scholar
- Wills, C., Kratofil, P., Londo, D. and Martin, T. (1981). Characterization of the two alcohol dehydrogenases of Zymomonas mobilis. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 210, 775–785.Google Scholar