From chaos to cosmos: The telling of a life story reconsidered
This paper is based on clinical work as a pastoral counsellor with 26 elderly chronic patients at one of the city hospitals in Helsinki. The author discusses how the patients experience chaos and cosmos and how the telling of their life stories encourages them to encounter the crisis. They asked: who am I in the midst of all these (cultural, social and physical) changes? Chaos was experienced as a feeling of alienation from oneself, of being unable to determine one's own living conditions, and of being unable to handle stress situations by the same means as before. The path from chaos to cosmos was discovered by telling one's life story, which proved to be a creative process relating and integrating the present with the past, and providing an overview of one's life cycle. The counsellor and the other social contacts willing to listen to and reflect upon the story facilitated the progress considerably as did a positive attitude towards religion and seeking of life satisfaction in spite of everything.
Key Wordselderly people life cycle life story pastoral counselling psychology of religion religiosity crisis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allatt, P., T. Keil, A. Bryman, and B. Bytheway eds. 1987 Women and the Life Cycle: Transitions and Turning-Points. London: MacMillan Press.Google Scholar
- Central Statistical Office of Finland, Helsinki. 1984 Living conditions in Finland. Statistical surveys no. 74.Google Scholar
- Central Statistical Office of Finland, Helsinki. 1987 Statistical Yearbook of Finland.Google Scholar
- Cowgill, D.O. 1984 The disengagement of an aging activist: the making and unmaking of a gerontologist. In vitalizing long-term care. S.F. Springer and S.R. Ingman, eds. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Erikson, E.H. 1965 Childhood and Society. London: Norton.Google Scholar
- Gothóni, R. 1987 Pitkäaikaissairaan vanhuksen maailma ja uskonnollisuus (English summary: The World and Religiosity of Elderly Chronic Patients). Helsinki: Suomalaisen teologisen kirjallisuusseuran julkaisuja no. 149.Google Scholar
- Levinson, D.J., C. Darrow, E. Klein, M. Levinson and B. McKee 1979 The Seasons of a Man's Life. New York: Ballantine Books.Google Scholar
- Rosow, I. 1975 Status and Role Changes through the Lifespan. In The Handbook of Aging and Social Science. R. Binstock and E. Shanas, eds. New York: Van Nos Reinhold.Google Scholar
- Thorson, J.A. and T. Cook, eds. 1980 Spiritual Well-Being and the Elderly. Springfield: C.C. Thomas.Google Scholar