A topographic model of Amalthea (JV) was derived from the shapes of limbs and terminators in Voyager images, modified locally to accommodate large craters and ridges. The model is presented in tabular and graphic form, including the first detailed shaded relief maps of the satellite. The shape is very irregular, with radii varying between about 53 and 151 ± 5 km. The minimum value occurs in a deep crater at the south pole. The volume is estimated to be 2.5 ± 0.5 × 106km3. A prominent groove or valley extends some 150 km across the trailing side. High albedo, spectrally distinct markings are mapped and found to have a less obvious relationship with relief than previously suggested.
KeywordsGraphic Form South Pole Obvious Relationship Distinct Marking Topographic Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- International Astronomical Union (IAU): 1980, Trans. Vol. XVIIIB, D. Reidel, Dordrecht, pp. 285–304.Google Scholar
- Smith, B. A., Soderblom, L. A., Johnson, T. V., Ingersoll, A. P., Collins, S. A., Shoemaker, E. M., Hunt, G. E., Masursky, H., Carr, M. H., Davies, M. E., Cook, A. F., Boyce, J., Danielson, G. E., Owen, T., Sagan, C., Beebe, R. F., Veverka, J., Strom, R. G., McCauley, J. F., Morrison, D., Briggs, G. A. and Suomi, V. E.: 1979a, The Voyager Imaging Team, Science 204, 951–972.Google Scholar
- Smith, B. A., Soderblom, L. A., Beebe, R., Boyce, J., Briggs, G., Carr, M., Collins, S. A., Cook, A. F., Danielson, G. E., Davies, M. E., Hunt, G. E., Ingersoll, A., Johnson, T. V., Masursky, H., McCauley, J., Morrison, D., Owen, T., Sagan, C., Shoemaker, E. M., Strom, R., Suomi, V. E. and Veverka, J.: 1979b, The Voyager Imaging Team, Science 206, 927–950.Google Scholar
- Stooke, P. J.: 1986, Proceedings 2nd International Symposium Spatial Data Handling, Seattle, July 1986, pp. 523–536.Google Scholar
- Stooke, P. J.: 1988, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Victoria, 169 pp.Google Scholar
- Stooke, P. J. and Abergel, A.: 1991, Astron. Astrophys. 248: 656–668.Google Scholar
- Stooke, P. J. and Keller, C. P.: 1987, Lunar Planet. Sci. XVIII, 956–957, Lunar and Planetary Institute, Houston, Texas.Google Scholar
- Stooke, P. J. and Keller, C. P.: 1990, Cartographica 27, 82–100.Google Scholar
- Thomas, P., Veverka, J. and Dermott, S.: 1986, in J. A. Burns and M. S. Matthews (eds.), Satellites, University of Arizona Press, Tucson, pp. 802–835.Google Scholar
- Veverka, J., Thomas, P., Davies, M. and Morrison, D.: 1981, J. Geophys. Res. 86, 8675–8692.Google Scholar
- Veverka, J., Thomas, P. and Synott, S.: 1982, Vistas in Astron. 25, 245–262.Google Scholar