The evolution of a global magma ocean with olivine flotation
We investigate the thermal evolution of a global magma ocean divided by a dunite septum into a shallow and a lower part with help of simple stability estimations and cooling time calculations. It comes out that the septum is not stable against thermal convection so that this mechanism for a separated chemical evolution of the two mantle regions does not work.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agee, C. B. and Walker, D.: 1988a, Mass Balance and Phase Density Constraints on Early Differentiation of Chondritic Mantle, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 90, 144–156.Google Scholar
- Agee, C. B. and Walker, D.: 1988b, Static Compression and Olivine Flotation in Ultrabasic Silicate Liquid, J. Geophys. Res. 93, 3437–3449.Google Scholar
- Christensen, U.: 1988, Is Subducted Lithosphere Trapped at the 670 km Discontinuity?, Nature 336, 462–463.Google Scholar
- Hofmeister, A. M.: 1983, Effect of a Hadean Terrestrial Magma Ocean on Crust and Mantle Evolution, J. Geophys. Res. 88, 4963–4983.Google Scholar
- Irvine, T. N.: 1970, Heat Transfer During Solidification of Layered Intrusions. I. Sheets and Sills, Can. J. Earth Sci. 7, 1031–1061.Google Scholar
- Ohtani, E.: 1985, The Primordial Terrestrial Magma Ocean and its Implication for Stratification of the Mantle, Phys. Earth Planet. Inter. 38, 70–80.Google Scholar
- Ohtani, E.: 1988, Chemical Stratification of the Mantle Formed by Melting in the Early Stage of the Terrestrial Evolution, Tectonophysics 154, 201–210.Google Scholar
- Olsen, P., Silver, P. G., and Carlson, R. W.: 1990, The Large-Scale Structure of Convection in the Earth's Mantle, Nature 344, 209–215.Google Scholar
- Ringwood, A. E.: 1975, Composition and Petrology of the Earth's Mantle, McGraw-Hill, New York, 618 pp.Google Scholar
- Stolper, E. M., Walker, D., Hager, B. H., and Hays, J. F.: 1981, Melt Segregation from Partially Molten Source Region: The Importance of Melt Density and Source Region Size, J. Geophys. Res. 86, 6161–6271.Google Scholar