Preliminary studies of micropropagation of Hopea odorata, a dipterocarp tree
- 56 Downloads
Plantlet development from in vitro cultures of Hopea odorato Roxb. is described. Embryos excised from seeds and cultured on Gamborg's B5 or modified Murashige and Skoog (MS) medium with benzyladenine (BA, 2.2–22.2 μM) produced axillary shoots at cotyledonary and/or stem nodes. Shoot production was greatest in germinated embryos on modified MS medium with 8.9 μM BA. Excised axillary shoots formed few buds when cultured on medium with BA and limited root development occurred on Woody Plant Medium with naphthaleneacetic acid. Nodal explants from aseptically grown plantlets sprouted axillary shoots in modified MS medium with BA.
Key wordsDipterocarpaceae tissue culture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abdulhadi R, Kartawinata K & Sukardjo S (1981) Effects of mechanised logging in the lowland dipterocarp forest at Lempake, East Kalimantan. Malaysian For. 44: 407–418Google Scholar
- Gamborg OL, Miller RA & Ojima K (1968) Nutrient requirements of suspension cultures of soybean root cells. Exp. Cell. Res. 50: 151–158Google Scholar
- Linington IM (1991) In vitro propagation of Dipterocarpus alatus and Dipterocarpus intricatus. Plant Cell Tiss. Org. Cult. 27: 89–93Google Scholar
- Lloyd G & McCown B (1981) Commercially feasible micropropagation of mountain laurel, Kalmia latifolia by use of shoot-tip culture. Comb. Proc. Inter. Plant Prop. Soc. 30: 421–427Google Scholar
- Maury G (1970) Différents types de polyembryonie chez quelques diptercarpacées asiatiques. Bull. Soc. Hist. Nat. Toulouse 106: 282–292Google Scholar
- Murashige T & Skoog F (1962) A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiol. Plant. 15: 473–497Google Scholar
- Scott ES, Rao AN & Loh CS (1988) Production of plantlets of Shorea roxburghii G. Don. from embryonic axes culture in vitro. Ann. Bot. 61: 233–236Google Scholar
- Scott ES, Rao AN & Loh CS (1989) Tissue culture of dipterocarps. In: Rao AN & Mohd. Yusoff A (eds) Proceedings of the Seminar on Tissue Culture of Forest species (pp 175–179). Forest Research Institute Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, MalaysiaGoogle Scholar
- Smitinand T (1980) The Manual of Dipterocarpaceae of Mainland S.E. Asia. Royal Forest Dept, BangkokGoogle Scholar
- Smits WTM (1983) Vegetative propagation of Shorea cf. obtusa and Agathis dammara by means of leaf cuttings and stem cuttings. Malaysian For, 46: 175–185Google Scholar