Closer estimators of a common mean in the sense of Pitman
Consider the problem of estimating the common mean of two normal populations with different unknown variances. Suppose a random sample of sizem is drawn from the first population and a random sample of sizen is drawn from the second population. The paper gives a family of estimators closer than the sample mean of the first population in the sense of Pitman (1937,Proc. Cambridge Phil. Soc.,33, 212–222). In particular, the Graybill-Deal estimator (1959,Biometrics,15, 543–550) is shown to be closer than each of the sample means ifm≥5 andn≥5.
Key words and phrasesPitman closeness common mean Graybill-Deal estimator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bhattacharya, C. G. (1980). Estimation of a common mean and recovery of interblock information,Ann. Statist.,8, 205–211.Google Scholar
- Brown, L. D. and Cohen, A. (1974). Point and confidence estimation of a common mean and recovery of interblock information.Ann. Statist.,2, 963–976.Google Scholar
- Graybill, F. A. and Deal, R. B. (1959). Combining unbiased estimators,Biometrics,15, 543–550.Google Scholar
- Khatri, C. G. and Shah, K. R. (1974). Estimation of location parameters from two linear models under normality.Comm. Statist. A—Theory Methods,3, 647–663.Google Scholar
- Kubokawa, T. (1987a). Estimation of a common mean of two normal distributions,Tsukuba J. Math.,11, 157–175.Google Scholar
- Kubokawa, T. (1987b). Admissible minimax estimation of a common mean of two normal populations,Ann. Statist.,15, 1245–1256.Google Scholar
- Peddada, S. D. and Khattree, R. (1986). On Pitman nearness and variance of estimators,Comm. Statist. A—Theory Methods,15, 3005–3017.Google Scholar
- Pitman, E. J. G. (1937). The closest estimates of statistical parameters,Proc. Cambridge Phil. Soc.,33, 212–222.Google Scholar
- Rao, C. R., Keating, J. P. and Mason, R. L. (1986). The Pitman nearness criterion and its determination,Comm. Statist. A—Theory Methods,15, 3173–3191.Google Scholar
- Sen, P. K. (1986). Are BAN estimators the Pitman-closest ones too?,Sankhya Ser. A,48, 51–58.Google Scholar
- Sen, P. K., Kubokawa, T. and Saleh, A. K. Md. E. (1989). The Stein paradox in the sense of the Pitman measure of closeness, to appear inAnn. Statist.,17, September.Google Scholar
- Sugiura, N. (1984). Asymptotically closer estimators for the normal covariance matrix,J. Japan Statist. Soc.,14, 145–155.Google Scholar