Comparison of soybean and pea ENOD40 cDNA clones representing genes expressed during both early and late stages of nodule development
- 56 Downloads
A pea cDNA clone representing the homologue of the soybean pGmENOD40-1 was isolated and characterized. At the nucleotide level both clones share 55% homology. Strikingly, the homology between the polypeptides derived from the pea and soybean ENOD40 cDNA sequences is only 14%. Despite this low homology Southern analyses revealed that the isolated pea cDNA clone represents the single pea ENOD40. In situ hybridizations showed that at early stages of nodule development and in mature nodules the expression pattern of pea ENOD40 is comparable to that of soybean ENOD40. Although ENOD40 show similar expression patterns in these two nodules, it is questionable whether the putative polypeptides have a similar function, since the homology is very low.
Key wordspea early nodulin indeterminate nodule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Franssen HJ, Vijn I, Yang WC, Bisseling T: Developmental aspects of the Rhizobium-legume symbiosis. Plant Mol Biol 19: 89–107 (1992).Google Scholar
- 2.Gresshoff PM, Delves AC: Plant genetic approach to symbiotic nodulation and nitrogen fixation in legumes. In: Blanstein AD, King PJ (ed) A Genetic Approach to Plant Biochemistry, pp. 159–206. Springer-Verlag, New York (1986).Google Scholar
- 3.Kouchi H, Hata S: Isolation and characterization of novel nodulin cDNAs representing genes expressed at early stages of soybean nodule development. Mol Gen Genet 238: 106–119 (1993).Google Scholar
- 4.Nap JP, Bisseling T: Developmental biology of a plantprokaryote symbiosis: the legume root nodule. Science 250: 948–954 (1990).Google Scholar
- 5.Newcomb W, Sippel D, Peterson RL: The early morphogenesis of Glycine max and Pisum sativum root nodules. Can J Bot 57: 2603–2616 (1979).Google Scholar
- 6.Pate JS, Gunning BES, Briarty LG: Ultrastructure and functioning of the transport system of the leguminous root nodule. Planta 85: 11–34 (1969).Google Scholar
- 7.van Kammen A: Suggested nomenclature for plant genes involved in nodulation and symbiosis. Plant Mol Biol Rep 2: 43–45 (1984).Google Scholar
- 8.Vasse J, De Billy F, Camut S, Truchet G: Correlation between ultrastructural differentiation of bacteroids and nitrogen fixation in alfalfa nodules. J Bact 172: 4295–4306 (1990).Google Scholar
- 9.Yang WC, Katinakis P, Hendriks P, Smolders A, de Vries F, Spee J, van Kammen A, Bisseling T, Franssen H: Characterization of GmENOD40, a gene showing novel patterns of cell-specific expression during soybean nodule development. Plant J 3: 573–585 (1993).Google Scholar