Nucleotide sequence and characterization of a maize cytoplasmic ribosomal protein S11 cDNA
- 34 Downloads
We isolated a Zea mays cDNA encoding the 40S subunit cytoplasmic ribosomal protein S11. The nucleotide sequence was determined and the derived amino acid sequence compared to the corresponding Arabidopsis thaliana protein showing an homology of 90%. This ribosomal protein is encoded by a small multigene family of at least two members. The mRNA steady-state level is about one order of magnitude higher in rapidly growing parts of the plant such as the roots and shoots of seedlings compared to fully expanded leaf tissue.
Key wordscDNA sequence cytoplasmic ribosomes gene copy number ribosomal protein S11 steadystate mRNA level Zea mays
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gantt JS, Key JL: Coordinate expression of ribosomal protein mRNAs following auxin treatment of soybean hypocotyls. J Biol Chem 260: 6175–6181 (1985).Google Scholar
- 2.Gantt JS, Thompson MD: Plant cytosolic ribosomal protein S11 and chloroplast ribosomal protein S17. Their primary structure and evolutionary relationships. J Biol Chem 265: 2763–2767 (1990).Google Scholar
- 3.Larkin JC, Hunsperger JP, Culley D, Rubenstein I, Silflow CD: The organization and expression of a maize ribosomal protein gene family. Genes Devel 3: 500–509 (1989).Google Scholar
- 4.Mager WH: Control of ribosomal protein gene expression. Biochim Biophys Acta 949: 1–15 (1988).Google Scholar
- 5.Proodfoot NJ, Brownlee GG: 3′ non-coding region sequences in eukaryotic messenger RNA. Nature 263: 211–214 (1976).Google Scholar
- 6.Wiedeman LM, Perry RP: Characterization of the expressed gene and several processed pseudogenes for the mouse ribosomal protein L30 gene family. Mol Cell Biol 4: 2518–2528 (1984).Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang H, School R, Browse J, Somerville C: Double stranded DNA sequencing as a choice for DNA sequencing. Nucl Acids Res 16: 1220 (1988).Google Scholar