The theoretical proportion of the donor genome in near-isogenic lines of self-fertilizers bred by backcrossing
- 276 Downloads
The length was estimated of the chromosome segment with the desired marker gene introgressed from a donor by backcrossing into a recurrent parent. It was found that, for instance, for a chromosome with a length of 100 cM the length of the segment is 32 cM in BC6.
These estimates were compared with those made by Hanson (1959). Two corrections proved to be necessary.
The implications for breeders and researchers are discussed. Differences between two near-isogenic lines often ascribed to the difference in genotype at the marker locus, may also be caused by genes linked to the marker gene and ‘dragged’ into the backcross product.
Index wordsBackcross near-isogenic line length of donor chromosome segment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bartlett, M. S. & J. B. S. Haldane, 1935. The theory of inbreeding with forced heterozygosity. J. Genetics 31: 327–340.Google Scholar
- Brinkman, M. A. & K. J. Frey, 1977. Yield component analysis of oat isolines that produce different grain yields. Crop Sci. 17: 165–168.Google Scholar
- Donchev, N., 1979. The leaf rust problem of wheat in Bulgaria in 1977–1978. Cereal Rust Bull. 7 (1): 16–20.Google Scholar
- Franklin, I. R., 1977. The distribution of the proportion of the genome which is homozygous by descent in inbred individuals. Theor. Pop. Biol. 11: 60–80.Google Scholar
- Hanson, W. D., 1959. Early generation analysis of lengths of heterozygous chromosome segments around a locus held heterozygous with backcrossing or selfing. Genetics 44: 833–837.Google Scholar
- Jain, K. B. L., S. K. Jain & C. W. Schaller, 1979. Analysis of selection at two awn length loci in populations of barley isogenic lines. Genetica 51: 115–124.Google Scholar
- Johnson, J. W., P. S. Baenziger, W. T. Yamasaki & R. T. Smith, 1979. Effects of powdery mildew on yield and quality of isogenic lines of ‘Chancellor’ wheat. Crop Science 19: 350–353.Google Scholar
- Stam, P., 1979. Interference in genetic crossing over and chromosome mapping. Genetics 92: 573–594.Google Scholar
- Stam, P., 1980. The distribution of the fraction of the genome identical by descent in finite random mating populations. Genet. Res. 35: 131–155.Google Scholar