In vitro adventitious bud techniques for vegetative propagation and mutation breeding of potato (Solanum tuberosum L.). II. Significance for mutation breeding
- 186 Downloads
It was investigated what potentialities for mutation breeding of potato are offered by using adventitious sprouts that arise in vitro from leaf explants (rachis, petiole, leaflet-disc) after X-irradiation. Mutation frequency and chimerism were studied in subterranean and aerial parts in three vegetative generations (vM1, vM2, vM3). Plants obtained from irradiated series produced a very high mutation frequency, a wide mutation spectrum and a very low rate of chimerism. Mutations were observed also in control series, especially in plants derived from the rachis and petiole explant group.
Index wordsSolanum tuberosum potato mutation breeding in vitro propagation adventitious bud technique chimerism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Broertjes, C., B. Haccius & S. Weidlich, 1968. Adventitious bud formation on isolated leaves and its significance for mutation breeding. Euphytica 17: 321–344.Google Scholar
- Broertjes, C. & A. M. Van Harten, 1978. Application of mutation breeding methods in the improvement of vegetatively propagated crops. An interpretive literature review. Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, Amsterdam, 316 p.Google Scholar
- Dermen, H., 1947. Histogenesis of some bud sports and variegations. Proc. Ann. Soc. Hortic. Sci. 50: 51–73.Google Scholar
- Harten, A. M. Van, H. Bouter & A. Van Ommeren, 1972. Preventing chimerism in potato (Solanum tuberosum L.). Euphytica 21: 11–21.Google Scholar
- Harten, A. M. Van & H. Bouter, 1973. Dihaploid potatoes in mutation breeding: some preliminary results. Euphytica 22: 1–7.Google Scholar
- Harten, A. M. Van, 1978. Mutation breeding techniques and behaviour of irradiated shoot apices of potato. Agric. Res. Rep. 873, PUDOC, Wageningen, 132 p.Google Scholar
- Howard, H. W., 1970. Genetics of the potato Solanum tuberosum. Logos Press, London, 126 p.Google Scholar
- Roest, S. & G. S. Bokelmann, 1976. Vegetative propagation of Solanum tuberosum L. in vitro. Potato Res. 19: 173–178.Google Scholar
- Roest, S. & G. S. Bokelmann, 1980. In vitro adventitious bud techniques for vegetative propagation and mutation breeding of potato (Solanum tuberosum L.). I Vegetative propagation in vitro through adventitious shoot formation. Potato Res. 23: 167–181.Google Scholar