Rapid, nondestructive measurement of chlorophyll content in leaves with nonuniform chlorophyll distribution
- 258 Downloads
A practical microcomputerized video image analysis method is described for quantifying leaf chlorophyll content without extraction. Chlorophyll concentration is estimated from densimetric measurements of whole, intact leaves. Direct comparison with conventional extraction measurements on Epipremnum aureum, a variegated species, verified the image analysis technique's accuracy. The inherent advantages with regard to the nondestructive and convenient nature of the measurement, and suitability for leaves with irregular chlorophyll distribution, are discussed.
Key wordschlorophyll concentration chlorophyll measurement densitometry Epipremnum microcomputerized image analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arnon DI (1949) Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenoloxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiol 24: 1–15Google Scholar
- Bruinsma J (1961) A comment on the spectrophotometric determination of chlorophyll. Biochim Biophys Acta 52: 576–578Google Scholar
- Daley LS (1986) Attenuance rank as a rapid nonextractive measure of in vivo anthocyanin color and chlorophyll content of leaves of Corylus. Scientia Hort 28: 165–176Google Scholar
- Devlin RM and Barker AV (1971) Photosynthesis New York: Van NostrandGoogle Scholar
- Inskeep WD and Bloom PR (1985) Extinction coefficients of chlorophyll a and b in n,n-dimethylformamide and 80% acetone. Plant Physiol 77: 83–85Google Scholar
- Singh BN and Anantrao NK (1937) A photconductive photometer. A new method and apparatus for the quantitative estimation of chlorophyll. Current Sci 5: 416–418Google Scholar
- Smith MAL, Hoyer C and Spomer LA (1986) A remote image capture and analysis system for computer-aided quantification of in vitro growth. Hort Science 21: 198 Abstract #667Google Scholar
- Smith MAL and Spomer LA (1987) Direct quantification of in vitro cell growth through image analysis. In Vitro Cell Devel Biol 23: 67–74Google Scholar
- White RC, Jones ID and Gibbs E (1960) Determination of chlorophylls, chlorophyllides, pheophytines, and pheophorbides in plant materials. J Food Sci 28: 431–436Google Scholar
- Yadava UL (1986) A rapid and nondestructive method to determine chlorophyll in intact leaves. HortScience 21: 1449–1450Google Scholar