The swimming behavior of planktonic crustaceans colonizing algal mats
- 46 Downloads
Laboratory experiments showed that both cladocerans and copepods are able to overcome a filamentous algae barrier, and are able to move within algal mats. This suggests that the crustaceans noted in large numbers in accumulations of algae actively colonize these mats and live inside of them.
Key wordsCladocera Copepoda filamentous algae swimming behavior
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dodson, S. & C. Ramcharan, 1991. Size-specific swimming behavior of Daphnia pulex. J. Plankton Res. 13: 1367–1379.Google Scholar
- Gliwicz, Z. M. & J. I. Rybak, 1976. Zooplankton. In E. Pieczyńska (ed.), Selected problems of lake littoral ecology. Wyd. Uniwersytetu Warszawskiego, Warszawa: 69–96.Google Scholar
- Guranowska, G. M., 1975. Copepoda i Cladocera towarcyszace masowym pojawom glonów nitkowatych [Copepods and cladocerans accompanying the mass appearances of filamentous algae]. M. Sc. Thesis, University of Warsaw, Warszawa, 13 pp.Google Scholar
- Hillebrand, H., 1983. Development and dynamics of floating clusters of filamentous algae. In R. G. Wetzel (ed.), Periphyton of freshwater ecosystems, Dr W. Junk Publishers, The Hague: 31–39.Google Scholar
- Kerfoot, W. C., D. L. Kellogg, Jr. & J. R. Strickler, 1980. Visual observations of live zooplankters: evasion, escape, and chemical defenses. In W. C. Kerfoot (ed.), Evolution and Ecology of Zooplankton Communities. The University Press of New England, Hanover (N. H.): 10–27.Google Scholar
- Moss, B., 1990. Engineering and biological approaches to the restoration from eutrophication of shallow lakes in which aquatic plant communities are important components. In R. D. Gulati, E. H. R. R. Lammens, M. L. Meijer & E. van Donk (eds), Biomanipulation — tool for water management. Hydrobiologia 200/201 (Dev. Hydrobiol. 61): 367–377.Google Scholar
- Ozimek, T., 1990. Aspect of the ecology of a filamentous alga in a eutrophicated lake. Hydrobiologia 191: 23–27.Google Scholar
- Pieczyńska, E., T. Ozimek & J. I. Rybak, 1988. Long-term changes in littoral habitats and communities in Lake Mikołajskie (Poland). Int. Revue ges. Hydrobiol. 73: 361–378.Google Scholar
- Schriver, P., J. Bøgestrand, E. Jeppesen & M. Søndergaard, 1995. Impact of submerged macrophytes on fish-zooplankton-phytoplankton interactions: large-scale enclosure experiments in a shallow eutrophic lake. Freshwat. Biol. 33: 255–270.Google Scholar
- Woroniecka, U. D., 1974. Fauna towarzyszaca masowym pojawom glonów nitkowatych [The fauna accompanying the mass appearances of filamentous algae]. M. Sc. Thesis, University of Warsaw, Warszawa, 24 pp.Google Scholar