Abundance and spatial distribution of Artemia salina in Lake Abert, Oregon
In 1981–1982 Abert Lake had an area of 200 km2, with a mean depth of 2.5 m and a total dissolved salt concentration of 82 gl-1. The spatial distribution and abundance of the brine shrimp, Artemia salina, were monitored for 1981–1982. In 1981 during the midsummer months, with sampling primarily in the eastern side of Abert Lake, brine shrimp populations showed peak densities of 2–4 ind. 1-1. In 1982, peak abundance occurred in early July and ranged between 5–8 ind. 1-1. Lakewide estimates of brine shrimp derived from 14 collecting stations and assuming a uniform distribution over the lake resulted in estimates of lakewide abundance of 3 × 1011 adults with a total biomass of 7 × 106 kg. The major algal species in the lake was a benthic filamentous green alga (Ctenocladus circinnatus).
Key wordsLake Abert salt lake
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bellrose, F. C., 1976. Ducks, geese and swans of North America (2nd). Stackpole Books, Harrisburg, PA. 544 pp.Google Scholar
- Boula, K. M. & R. L. Jarvis, 1984. Foraging ecology of fall-migrating waterbirds, Lake Abert. Dept. of Fish. and Wildlife, Ore. St. Univ. Spec. Rpt., 29 pp.Google Scholar
- Conte, F. P., R. Jellison & G. L. Schnoor, 1987. Abundance and spatial distribution of brine shrimp Artemia monica in Mono Lake, California. Hydrobiologia. This volume.Google Scholar
- Cooper, S. D., D. W. Winkler & P. H. Lenz, 1984. The effect of Grebe predation on a brine shrimp Artemia monica population. J. Animal Ecol. 53: 52–64.Google Scholar
- Herbst, D., 1980. Ecological physiology of the larval fly, Ephydra hians, an alkaline salt lake inhabiting ephyrdrid (Diptera). M.S. Thesis, Oregon State University. 65 pp.Google Scholar
- Hutchinson, G. E., 1957. A treatise on limnology. Vol. 1. J. Wiley and Sons, N.Y. 320 pp.Google Scholar
- Malone, B. G. & D. J. McQueen, 1983. Horizontal patchiness in zooplankton populations in two Ontario kettle lakes. Hydrobiologia 99: 101–124.Google Scholar
- Phillips, K. N. & A. S. VanDenburgh, 1971. Hydrology and geochemistry of Abert, Summer, and Goose Lakes and other closed-basin lakes in southcentral Oregon. U.S. Geol. Survey Prof. Paper 502-B. 86 pp.Google Scholar
- Pielou, E. C., 1977. Mathematical Ecology. J. Wiley and Son, N.Y., 385 pp.Google Scholar
- VanDenburgh, A. S., 1975. Solute balance at Abert and Summer lakes, southcentral Oregon. U.S. Geol. Survey Prof. Paper 502-C. 29 pp.Google Scholar