Variations in underwater vocalizations of Weddell seals (Leptonychotes weddelli) at the Vestfold Hills as a measure of breeding population discreteness
- 51 Downloads
Weddell seal vocalizations from Davis Station showed similarities to those from McMurdo Sound and Palmer Peninsula, but none were identical. One vocalization, DD1, was unique to Davis Station. At all sites trills, or territorial defense calls, were the most common and had more types than other calls. Chugs, an aggressive sound, were common at all sites. Weddell seal calls from Davis Station showed similarities to sounds from McMurdo by sharing the use of prefixes and suffixes. Sounds from Davis Station shared the use of both ascending and descending trills and whistles with calls from Palmer Peninsula.
Commonalities in underwater vocalizations may indicate the degree of mixing between breeding populations, in which case, Weddell seals in the Davis area probably are from a breeding population distinct from those at either McMurdo Sound or Palmer Peninsula.
Key wordsWeddell seal vocalization Vestfold Hills Antarctica
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Lindsey, A., 1937. The Weddell seal in the Bay of Whales, Antarctica. J. Mammal. 18: 127–144.Google Scholar
- Lugg, D. J., 1966. Annual Cycle of the Weddell seal in the Vestfold Hills, Antarctica. J. Mammal. 47(2): 317–322.Google Scholar
- Ray, C. & W. E. Schevill, 1967. Noisy underwater world of the Weddell seal. Animals 10: 109–113.Google Scholar
- Schevill, W. E. & W. A. Watkins, 1971. Directionality of the sound beam in Leptonychotes weddelli (Mammalia: Pinnipedia). In W. Burt (ed.), Antarctic Pinnipedia. Antarct. Res. Ser. 18. Am. Geophys. Union, Natn. Acad. Sci. — Natn. Res. Coun., Wash. D.C.: 163–168.Google Scholar
- Thomas, J. & V. Kuechle, 1982. Quantitative analysis of the underwater repertoire of the Weddell seal (Leptonychotes weddelli). J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 72: 1730–1738.Google Scholar
- Thomas, J. & I. Stirling, 1983. Geographic variation in Weddell seal (Leptonychotes weddelli) vocalizations between Palmer Peninsula and McMurdo Sound, Antarctica. Can. J. Zool. 61: 2203–2210.Google Scholar
- Thomas, J., K. Zinnel & L. Ferm, 1983. Investigation of Weddell seal (Leptonychotes weddelli) underwater calls using playback techniques. Can. J. Zool. 61: 1448–1456.Google Scholar
- Wilson, E., 1905. On the whales, seals, and birds of the Ross Sea and South Victoria Land. In R. F. Scott (ed.), The Voyage of the Discovery 2. Smith, Elder & Co. Lond.: 269–294.Google Scholar