Isolation and characterization of a cytokinin-binding protein from cucumber cotyledons
A protein which binds specifically to [3H]-zeatin has been isolated from cucumber cotyledons by chromatographic techniques. Its binding to [3H]-zeatin was inhibited remarkably by the addition of non-radioactive cytokinins and the order of inhibition was zeatin > -zeatin riboside > N6-(Δ2-isopentenyl)adenine > N6-(Δ2-isopentenyl)adenosine > N6-benzyl-adenosine > kinetin riboside. This protein behaved as a soluble protein with an apparent molecular size of 43,000 daltons on gel filtration through calibrated Sephadex G-100 column. The dissociation constant, Kd, of the protein-zeatin complex was about 4 × 10−7 M.
Key wordsCucumis sativus binding protein cytokinins and specificity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Erion, JL and Fox, JE (1981) Purification and properties of a protein which binds cytokinin-active 6-substituted purines. Plant Physiol 67: 156–162Google Scholar
- 5.Fox, JE and Erion, JL (1975) A cytokinin binding protein from higher plant ribosomes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 64: 695–700Google Scholar
- 6.Keim, P, Erion, J and Fox, JE (1981) The current status of cytokinin-binding moieties. In: JGuern and CPéaud-Lenoël eds. Metabolism and Molecular Activities of Cytokinins, 179–190. Berlin, Heidelberg, New York: Springer-VerlagGoogle Scholar
- 9.Moore, FH (1979) A cytokinin-binding protein from wheat germ. Plant Physiol 64: 594–599Google Scholar
- 10.Polya, GM and Davis, AW (1978) Properties of high affinity cytokinin-binding protein from wheat germ. Planta 139: 139–147Google Scholar
- 11.Polya, GM and Bowman, JA (1979) Ligand specificity of high affinity cytokinin-binding protein. Plant Physiol 64: 387–392Google Scholar
- 12.Ramanov, GA, Taran, VYa, Chvojka, L and Kulaeva, ON (1988) Receptor-like cytokinin-binding proteins from barley leaves. J Plant Growth Regul 7: 1–17Google Scholar
- 13.Reddy, ASN, Sopory, SK and Datta, A (1983) Purification and characterization of a cytokinin-binding protein from barley embryos. Biochem Int 6: 181–190Google Scholar
- 14.Scatchard, G (1949) The attractions of proteins for small molecules and ions. Ann NY Acad Sci 51: 660–672Google Scholar
- 15.Sussman, MR and Kende, H (1978) In vitro cytokinin binding to a particulate fraction of tobacco cells. Planta 140: 251–259Google Scholar