New R genes in Solanum demissum lindl. And their complementary races of Phytophthora infestans (Mont.) de bary
Three new major genes which control a hypersensitive reaction to certain races of Phytophthora infestans are recorded in potato seedlings bred from the wild species Solanum demissum. They are different from the six already established in that species and are designated R7, R8 and R9. Nine new races of P. infestans, each capable of overcoming the hypersensitivity induced by at least one of the new genes, have been distinguished, and all originated from race 1, 2, 3, 4.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Black, W. (1960). Races of Phytophthora infestans and resistance problems in potatoes. Rep. Scot. Pl. Breed. Sta. 1960: 29–38.Google Scholar
- 2.Black, W. and Gallegly, M. E. (1957). Screening of Solanum species for resistance to physiological races of Phytophthora infestans. Am. Potato J. 34: 273–281.Google Scholar
- 3.Black, W., Mastenbroek, C., Mills, W. R. and Peterson, L. C. (1953). A proposal for an international nomenclature of races of Phytophthora infestans and of genes controlling immunity in Solanum demissum derivatives. Euphytica 2: 173–179.Google Scholar
- 4.Eide, C. J., Bonde, R., Gallegly, M. E., Graham, K., Mills, W. R., Niederhauser, J. Wallin, J. R. (1959). Report of the Late Blight Investigations Committee. Am. Potato J. 36: 421–423.Google Scholar
- 5.Eide, C. J., Gallegly, M. E., Graham, K. M., Mills, W. R., Niederhauser, J. and Wallin, J. R. (1960). Report of the Late Blight Investigations Committee. Am. Potato J. 37: 399–400.Google Scholar
- 6.Graham, K. M., Dionne, L. A. and Hodgson, W. A. (1961). Mutability of Phytophthora infestans on blight-resistant selections of potato and tomato. Phytopathology 51: 264–265.Google Scholar
- 7.McKee, R. K. (1962). Identification of R-genes in Solanum stoloniferum. Euphytica 11: 42–46.Google Scholar
- 8.Schick, R., Schick, E. and Haussdörfer, M. (1958). Ein Beitrag zur physiologischen Spezialisierung von Phytophthora infestans. Phytopath. Z. 31: 225–236.Google Scholar