Methods to determine solidity and dry matter content of onions (Allium cepa L.)
- 145 Downloads
Different testing methods to measure solidity and dry matter content of onion bulbs were examined. The correlation coefficients between the characters determined were calculated. No strong correlations were found between the results of the different methods of measuring solidity. The refraction value of the press juice gives reliable information on the dry matter content of the onion bulb.
KeywordsPlant Physiology Strong Correlation Refraction Matter Content Reliable Information
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bruyn, J. W. de, H. A. van Keulen, & J. H. A. Ferguson, 1968. Rapid method for the simultaneous determination of glucose and fructose using anthrone reagent. J. Sci. Fd Agric. 19: 597–601.Google Scholar
- Courbois, F., 1969. Verband tussen de eigenschappen van uien en de monstername. Rep. Sprenger Inst., Wageningen, pp. 4.Google Scholar
- Fosket, R. L. & C. E. Peterson, 1950. Relation of dry matter content to storage quality in some onion varieties and hybrids. Proc. Am. Soc. hort. Sci. 55: 314–318.Google Scholar
- Kehr, A. E. & E. C. Tims, 1951. Onion breeding in Louisana. A. Rep. La agric. Exp. Stn 1950–51: 94–95.Google Scholar
- Mann, L. K. & B. J. Hoyle, 1945. Use of refractometer for selecting onion bulbs high in dry matter for breeding. Proc. Am. Soc. hort. Sci. 46: 285–292.Google Scholar
- McCollum, G. D., 1968. Heritability and genetic correlation of soluble solids, bulb size and shape in White Sweet Spanish onion. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 10: 508–514.Google Scholar
- Nieuwhof, M., 1969. Kwaliteitsonderzoek bij de ui. Zaadbelangen 23: 525–527.Google Scholar
- Zeller, A., 1939. Zur chemischen Anatomie der Küchenzwiebel. Gartenbauwissenschaft 13: 66–82.Google Scholar