Precursors of one integral and five lumenal thylakoid proteins are imported by isolated pea and barley thylakoids: optimisation of in vitro assays
- 69 Downloads
In vitro assays for the import of proteins by isolated pea thylakoids have been refined and optimised with respect to (a) the method of thylakoid preparation, (b) the concentration of thylakoids in the import assay, and (c) the pH and temperature of the import assay. As a result, the 23 kDa and 16 kDa proteins of the photosynthetic oxygen-evolving complex are imported with efficiencies approaching 100%; import of the third oxygen-evolving complex protein is also observed, albeit with lower efficiencies. We have also demonstrated import of three further thylakoid proteins: plastocyanin, the CFoII subunit of the ATP synthase, and the photosystem I subunit, PSI-N, using this import assay. Import of plastocyanin, PSI-N and the 33 kDa oxygen-evolving complex protein subunit requires the presence of stromal extract whereas the other three proteins are efficiently imported in the absence of added soluble proteins. Import into isolated barley thylakoids was achieved under identical assay conditions, although with somewhat lower efficiency than into pea thylakoids.
Key wordschloroplast precursor protein protein import thylakoid protein import
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arnon, DI: Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenoloxidases in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiol 24: 1–15 (1949).Google Scholar
- 4.Hageman, J, Robinson, C, Smeekens, S, Weisbeek, P: A thylakoid processing peptidase is required for complete maturation of the lumen protein plastocyanin. Nature 324: 567–569 (1986).Google Scholar
- 8.Knoetzel J, Simpson DJ: The primary structure of PSA N, encoding an extrinsic lumenal polypeptide of photosystem I. Plant Mol Biol (in press).Google Scholar
- 10.Mould, RM, Robinson, C: A proton gradient is required for the transport of two lumenal oxygen-evolving proteins across the thylakoid membrane. J Biol Chem 266: 12189–12193 (1989).Google Scholar
- 15.Steppuhn, J, Hermans, J, Nechushtai, R, Ljungberg, U, Thummler, F, Lottspeich, F, Herrmann, RG: Nucleotide sequence of cDNA clones encoding the entire precursor polypeptides for subunits IV and V of the photosystem I reaction center from spinach. FEBS Lett 237: 218–224 (1988).CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar