The Lepocreadiidae (Digenea) of fishes from the north-east Atlantic: Profundivermis intercalarius n. g., n. sp. from the marine fish Coryphaenoides (Nematonurus) armatus (Hector) (Macrouridae) from the Porcupine Abyssal Plain
- 37 Downloads
A new genus and species, Profundivermis intercalarius, is described from the deep-sea fish Coryphaenoides (Nematonurus) armatus from 4,850 m deep on the Porcupine Abyssal Plain, NE Atlantic. The genus is characterized by an inter-testicular ovary and is the only member of the subfamily Lepidapedinae to show this feature. The relationships of the members of the subfamily are analysed phylogenetically. Members of the subfamily are often found in deep-sea gadiforms.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bray R.A. & Gibson D.I. (1990) The Lepocreadiidae (Digenea) of fishes from the north-east Atlantic: review of the genera Opechona Looss, 1907 and Prodistomum Linton, 1910. Systematic Parasitology, 15, 159–202.Google Scholar
- Campbell R.A., Haedrich R.L. & Munroe T.A. (1980) Parasitism and ecological relationships among deep-sea benthic fishes. Marine Biology, 57, 301–313.Google Scholar
- Gaevskaya A.V. & Rodyuk G.N. (1988) New trematode genera from the south Atlantic fishes. Parazitologiya, 22, 509–513 (In Russian).Google Scholar
- Manter H.W. (1954) Some digenetic trematodes from fishes of New Zealand. Transactions of the Royal Society of New Zealand, 82, 475–568.Google Scholar
- Marshall N.B. (1979) Developments in deep-sea biology. Poole: Blandford Press, 566 pp.Google Scholar
- Shimazu T. & Shimura S. (1984) Paralepidapedon (Trematoda: Lepocreadiidae), with descriptions of metacercariae of Paralepidapedon hoplognathi (Yamaguti, 1938) comb. n. and of two other species from sea urchins. Zoological Science, 1, 809–817.Google Scholar