The effect of the method of supplementary feed application on the feeding habits of carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) with regard to natural food in ponds
- 95 Downloads
Qualitative and quantitative analyses were carried out on the intestinal content of 408 carps of age 0 + collected from ponds manured with liquid cowshed manure, with or without the addition of supplementary feed. These analyses were combined with a study of the benthos in the same ponds. Conclusions drawn were that the natural food preferred by this fish species consists of the components of the zoobenthos, especially larvae and pupae of chironomids.
When the carp were fed supplementary feed through a demand feeder, the natural food consumed was mainly from the surface layers of the water, such as pupae of chironomids at the last stage of their development, before or during the hatching of the adult, Heteroptera, and also Cladocera, Copepoda and Rotatoria from the zooplankton.
The daily addition of liquid cow manure caused harsher environmental conditions in the water, led to a decrease in the number of species of the benthos and of the plankton, and consequently had an influence on the trophic spectrum of the carp. Supplementary feed when available, replaces some of the natural food and it seems that the carp seeks more easily accesible food items.
KeywordsCarp supplementary feed feeding habits natural food demand feeders chironomidae oligochaeta
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Botnariuc, N., Spataru, P. & Erhan, E. 1964. Hrana crapului. Hidrobiologia 5: 197–216.Google Scholar
- Darnell, R. M. 1964. Organic detritus in relation to secondary production in aquatic communities. Verh. Int. Ver. Theor. Angew. Limnol. 15: 462–470.Google Scholar
- Gurzeda, A. 1969. Relationship between natural and artificial food in carp nutrition EIFAC Tech. Pap., 9: a118–130.Google Scholar
- Guziur, J. 1976. The feeding of two year old carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) in a vendace Lake Klawoj. Ekol. Pol. 24: 211–235.Google Scholar
- Ivlev, V. S. 1961. Experimental Ecology of the Feeding of Fish. Yale University Press, New Haven, Conn. 302 pp. (translated from Russian).Google Scholar
- Lewis, W. N. 1974. Benthic feeding of common carp. FAO Aquacult. Bull. 6: 6–7.Google Scholar
- Mauck, P. E. 1970. Food habits, length-weight relationships, age and growth, gonadal-body weight relationships and condition of carp, Cyprinus carpio (Linnaeus) in Lake Carl Blackwell, Oklahoma. M.Sc. thesis, Oklahoma University, 73 pp.Google Scholar
- McCrimmon, H. R. 1968. Carp in Canada. Fisheries Research Board, Ottawa, Canada. 94 pp.Google Scholar
- Merla, C. 1969. Availability of natural food for Cyprinus carpio in ponds where fish culture intensity is increasing. EIFAC Tech. Pap. 9: 131–138.Google Scholar
- Nikolski, G. V. 1963. The Ecology of Fish. Academic Press, London, New York, 352 pp. (translated from Russian).Google Scholar
- Prejs, A. 1973. Experimentally increased fish stock in the pond type Lake Warniak. IV. Feeding of introduced and autochtonous non-predatory fish. Ekol. Pol., 21: 465–505.Google Scholar
- Spataru, P. 1967. Nutritia si relatiile trofice la pestii din complexul de balti Crapina-Jijila (Zona inundabila a Dunarii). Teza de doctorat, Universitatea Bucuresti, 289 pp.Google Scholar
- Summerfelt, R. C., Mauck, E. P. & Messinger, G. 1970. Food habits of the carp, Cyprinus carpio L., in five Oklahoma reservoirs. Proceedings of the 24th Annual Conference of the Southeastern Association of Game and Fish Commissioners, pp. 352–377Google Scholar
- Szumiec, J. 1969. Relationships between natural and artificial food in carp feeding. EIFAC Tech. Pap. 9: 140–16o.Google Scholar
- Utermöhl, H. 1958. Zur Vervollkomnung der quantitativen Phytoplankton-Methodik. Mitt. Int. Ver. Theor. Angew. Limnol. 9: 38 pp.Google Scholar
- Vaas, K. F. & Vaas-van Oven, A. 1959. Studies on the production and utilization of natural food in Indonesian carp ponds. Hydrobiologia 12: 308–392.Google Scholar
- Yashouv, A. 1954. The values of natural food in fish breeding. Bamidgeh 6: 103–108.Google Scholar
- Yashouv, A. & Halevy, A. 1972. Experimental studies of polyculture in 1971. Bamidgeh 24: 31–39.Google Scholar
- Zabolotskii, A. A. 1967. Carp feeding in the Veshkelista Lakes after chemical extermination of trash fish. Tr. Karelskogo Ordel., Gosniorch. 5: 426–432 (translated from Russian).Google Scholar